Junkers 88 A1 detail photos

here is the kuvi..this was used in the eraly bombers..Do-17, he 111 and Ju 88

today there is only one known in a private collection..and some minor parts in USAF museum in Ohio left of this device..

if anybody knows about one we need it for the Ju 88 restoration..hehe

its the X shaped part

( this is Do 17 cockpit and the Ju 88 cockpit )

post-5311-1233854890.jpg

post-5311-1233854911.jpg

Hi Guttorm

What on earth does the X shaped part do? I've looked long and hard and cannot see its function. It has a wire running around its edge, held at each corner and also by a cross piece, but why - only appears attached to the rest of the device by the central rod.

Found a nice pic of it from better angle:

post-528-1233877346.jpg

More I look at this pic, I wonder if this is a piece of plexi glass with edge showing like a wire...? Any info would be welcomed. PS - this is in an He 111.

Matt

its a Kursvisier Kuvi 2 Fl 52397 also known as the kuvi..it has to do something with calculating course..ore something to do with bombing.. but acording to the name its most likely something to do with cours ( kurs ) but no idea how it works..these are extremely rare.. its official only one complete in exsistense..but i know some collectors who has bits and pieces,,and there might be some more out there..

they were used in the early large bombers..like the He 111 and Ju 88 ( and also Do 17 )

now i know that its not a plexiglass but a string attached to it as i have once seen a manual for one ( but back then i dident read german gothic very well ) now today i whish i had copied that manual

but i still know the guy..will contact him and ask him if he still has that manual.. its a funny item and sure would love to get my hands on one some day.. actually we need two..hehe one for the He and one for the Ju 88

but it would also be nice to know how that strange funny thing works :lol:

by studying the pictures of one of the main bodys from one still surviving ( this survives without the X )

it has left and right degree turns..and also a knob that makes goes to 360 degrees.. ??? the more i look at it the more i am sure this is for navigation

post-5311-1233888933.gif

Guttorm & any one else interested...?

Another pic. This time from a manual. I have tried an online translator but it doesn't really make sense to me...

post-528-1233949003.jpg

At least there's enough pictures to reproduce this thing (I think it'll stand out quite well in the 'pit) - just frustrating to not know what it does..!

Matt

Here's the text. Can any German speaker translate what it says?

post-528-1233949434.jpg

Matt

Operation of the course sight Kuvi2 (pic 21)

The course sight Kuvi is mounted to a pedestal on the left side of the fuselage in line of sight. The supplier has adjusted it so that the center position is parallel to the middle center line of the aircraft. Demounting the device has not to happen fort his makes it necessary to adjust it again.

The sight´s frame (1) can be demounted from the device (3) and be placed in the sight´s frame carrier in the flight stations (or: cockpit´s) nose.

Mounting the dive sight

The dive sight Stuvi 5 of the BZA (Bomben Ziel Anlage - bomb aiming system) is to be placed into the bracket located on the cockpit roof in front of the pilot and fixed with the brackets belonging to the Stuvi.

The Stuvi´s electrical connection is carried out by insertion of the plug into the outlet R 199 on top of the instrument panel.

The Stuvi 5 has to be set up with aid of the set up screws for elevation and bearing (?) on to the lower spike of the sight triangle for the (Anschiesscheibe – didn´t find a translation for this word. I understand that this could be a device to be shot at to align a gun.) gun (refer to part 12 A „fire arm installation“).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Parts of the above text in italic are additions from me and not part of the original text. Please excuse my english, i try to give my best... :(

Greetings,

Thomas

Guttorm & any one else interested...?

Another pic. This time from a manual. I have tried an online translator but it doesn't really make sense to me...

post-528-1233949003.jpg

At least there's enough pictures to reproduce this thing (I think it'll stand out quite well in the 'pit) - just frustrating to not know what it does..!

Matt

Nearly forgot to translate the comments on this picture. Here they are:

1 sight frame

2 pedestal

3 device (the Stuvi)

4 brackets (to fix it)

Pic. 21

Course sight Kuvi

fitted in the aircraft

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As before parts of the text in italic are from me trying to make the sense more clear.

interesting..very interesting,,but what the hey is the purpose of takeng the X frame of and putting it into the nose section ??

now i have something to study in our 88..to see where that might go..hehe

thanks for the translation :(

Guttorm

interesting..very interesting,,but what the hey is the purpose of takeng the X frame of and putting it into the nose section ??

now i have something to study in our 88..to see where that might go..hehe

thanks for the translation :(

Guttorm

They might just be talking about taking it off the base and storing it for protection while on the ground. Seems pretty prone to damage from bumping as unwieldly as it looks!