Junkers 88 A1 detail photos

when the flaps are lowered ( mine are glued in a upright position ) these small "flaps" will follow

trying to show here how they move.. the loooooong one in the kit is really not in one piece on the real 88..but smaller like the small one in the kit..i guess they just meade it easier with a long one

post-5311-1235431060.jpg

Hello, this is a fantastic thread, lots of detail, I have yet to buy the 1/32 Ju88, but have plenty of 1/48th scale kits.

Ref the RAF Museum's Ju88 and indeed most of the other ex Luftwaffe aircraft, the powers that be just aren't interested having the aircraft displayed in correct colours or state, I was a volunteer with the restoration team for many years and carried out a lot of research into the aircraft, advising my team leader on what equipment was missing, what the correct camouflage colours were etc, but even though some of the equipment was available we were never allowed to fit it. Prior to the Battle of Britain video display going in, we had a long time conservation project underway, arresting corrosion and the like, but as soon as the video went in, all work stopped, there are still parts lying around in the various aircraft that never got put back due to time constraints, the video show took priority over work on the aircraft.

In the last few years health & safety reared it's ugly head, we weren't allowed to work above head height, nor were we allowed into the cockpits or fuselage (due to the radiation risks from the instruments), there are still cockpit parts inside the Fw190 that I removed , but was never allowed to refit, they are still lying loose on the floor. The Me262 is missing the covers from the wingtip nav lights( the parts fitted are British post war items), the onsite engineer ordered replicas from the 262 people in the states, but when asked about fitting them, he was told, that to do so would take away some of the originality of the aircraft, needless to say, a few months after hearing this I left the team.

There is small radiation from the instruments.. up to the early 60ies Radium-226 was used for the "Leuchtmasse" (glowing-colour) in instruments and watches.

This radiation can harm you if the glass of an instrument is broken or you open it for cleaning or so...

Guest Vincent
Hello

what kind of radiation risks do you mean by working around the instruments inside the cockpitt?

Please explain, you just made me curious.

Bogdan

Hi

Every instrument's dial has its graduations and needle(s) coated with a radium-zinc based compound that used to make them glow at night. The zinc has been long destroyed by the radium (and the instrument no longer glows) but the Radium will still be active for a few thousand years. An instrument panel per se poses little radiation hazard as soon as you are few decimeters away from it but the new safety regulations in work places forbid it anyway.

It's a regulatory problem rather than a real safety hazard..

Best

Vincent

the german instruments are painted with radioactiv paint ( to glow in the dark ) and they emitt radioactivity.. some consider them dangerous.

The smitshonian are forced to label their cockpit as radioactiv and also have some restrictions on that.

but ofcourse its no more dangerous than what we normally get from other types of instruments and things around us in daily life..what could be very unhelathy is to open those instruments and inhale the dust inside them..

as you see on this picture ( just behind the grip ) the cockpits in usa are labeled with warnings on radioactiv instruments

post-5311-1235915531.jpg

Guest Vincent

It is also very important to remember that the real health risk posed by this instruments is extremly small (in fact to this day, the only people who got cancer from Radium were the girls painting the dials in the 20s and who used to sharpen the brush tip in their mouthes).

Ingested radium is absorbed by the body with a ratio of 20/80 (that is you'll **** out 80% of it in a few days)

Inhaled radium will enter the bloodstream within a few weeks

Once radium has entered the bloodstream, it behaves like calcium so it will depose in the bones and the teeths. The good news is that is tends to dilute all over the body so no "hotspots" are created. Within few months, 90% of the deposed radium in bones and teeths will leave the body. Within few years, 99% of it will be gone from your body. The remaining 1% will more or less follow you to the grave.

Can you die from it ?

The only proved cases of radium related deaths are of these girls painting the dials : they ingested massive amounts of Radium, days after days for many months. No other cases have been related to Radium directly. The lifetime risk posed by the Radium in the body has been theoritically calculated as causing potentially an extra 400 cancers per million (to be compared to the 200 000 cases of cancer the same million of individuals would develop from other factors)

Bottom line : it could be dangerous but there are way more dangerous isotopes out there...

:unsure:

Best

Vincent

Hi Guttorm,

The references you have given modellers of the Ju88A1 must rate as some of the best we have ever had. If decent Ju88's dont results from all this, and that is your aim, then I shall be surprised. Excellent work, it takes time to post all these message and pictures and it is very good of you to do so when you have the full size aircraft to also build. You are a star !

Looking at all that we have seen, there is something missing and its very big, do you have any photos of the bombardiers seat ? The tab at the base of the seat back on the kit part is confusing. The instructions show it going behind the seat base, se how the arrow tip disappears there. I see you have it in front and also you have a leather cushion or something in the seat pan which I cant find in the kit. It fits well with the front edge, is that some of your handiwork with filler ? We have seen so many lovely pictures but what should this seat look like and any photos of where the legs locate would also be welcome. The seat edge has a series of holes along it just like the rear folding seat. What are they for ?

The kit seat back has a crumpled looking filling which I dont associate with a padded leather back, what is that ?

Thanks

Merlin

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guttorm,

Thanks for all your hard work answering hundreds of peoples questions. Can you please help me understand why the A-1 and the C-2 you have both have different length dinghy compartments?

Many thanks

John McIllmurray (AIMS)

The A1 and the C2 we have both have the same lenght on the dinghy compartments ( the C-2 was a modified A1 )

But the A5 and later productions ( A-5, A-4 and up ) had larger dinghy compartments. the reason was that in the early 88`s they did not have that much survivalgear.. the "package" was enlarged with more items so the compartment had to be made bigger

some of the items that was added was the large notsender. ( large yellow box next to raft ) on this picture several items are missing like the sail ( we have one but not in the picture )

post-5311-1238202155.jpg