Hasegawa P-47D Bubbletop "Austrian Style"

Skybouncer

Hello and Servus to all of you, fellow LSP-Members!

after some years of messin´ around in 1/48 and 1/72, the glourious moment has come, finally, where I can post into this forum to :lol:

My friend Klaus H has infected me with the LSP Virus, and now I dont want to be cured anymore. I sold half of my stash and changed it to a little but growing fleet of (mostly) Hasegawa 1/32 Props.

It was last summer when I started on this T-Bolt. Got it right after I was available here in Vienna. Originally I was about to build an P-51D as it is my favourite Warbird (inspired by Super Mario´s excellent Swiss Stang Rollout), but after I recognised what I would have to change on the Hase Model, I decided to try onto a more recent release (but the Stang is still on my "To-Do" List, now i have the Trump as well...). The Jug was released just in time for me to start into the 1/32 universe. Well, it took a little while to finish all the parts to the point where I was ready to put ´em together finally. Also i had to move in my first own appartement with my girlfriend, thus causes some rapid decrease of precious building time :lol: But now with the next winter to come, the building season starts again.

Most of you have probably seen Klaus H´s Dora and Salamander Building Topic in this forum. He´s a master when it comes to scratch small details, as are many other LSP Members who are posting their builds here. After watching him build his models for some months, I couldn´t resist to at least try for some scratch details or modifications on my first model. Alan´s T-Bolt Build encouraged me also and set the level higher for all other Jug Lovers :lol:

Well, enough with words, lets start with the pics for your viewing pleasure :P

The two Airframe-Halves are not joined yet, i just sticked them together for test fitting of the pit. Cowling is already glued together, missing only the engine.

armaturenbrettvq7.jpg

Original Hase Instrument Panel. Some MDC Decals and punched out Instrument from the Hase Decal were used along with some 1/48 and 1/32 colored PE. Glass is displayed with the white Micro Scale Stuff which´s name dont come to my mind right now...

rumpfbild2zk9.jpg

The rivets where made with the MDC Riveting Tool, each rivet was punched separate (after scribing a stressed skin effect onto the whole airframe with a scalpel blade and sanding with Mastercaster Polishing Sticks) You can see the effect on some photos later in this topic.

rumpfbild3un4.jpg

The Cooling Flaps were made out of RED BULL Can Alu. One of my most favourite materials to work with. Especially after I emptied the can myself before. (Red Bull verleiht Flüüüügeeeel! <_< )

Also some panels on the frame and the fasteners on the cowling where made out of it.

khler2ip5.jpg

khler1od9.jpg

khler3iq1.jpg

Here a try to capture the stressed skin effect on the wings:

flgelggljb9.jpg

flgelggl4st4.jpg

And here one of the Stabilizers. Ruders cut out and rearanged of course...

gegenlichtstabike1.jpg

Cockpit and Engine Pics in the next post... hope you like my first 1/32 so far.

Here are some more pics of the already painted parts of the Jug:

leftpitjl9.jpg

pit0ro1.jpg

pit1na5.jpg

Here you can also see that I took some artistic license for the details behind the Cooling flaps :P Still some details missing, but painted it will look good I hope.

pit2rq5.jpg

pit3cl3.jpg

What I may have to change is the guiding I installed for the Canopy. The main Gas lever on the left is vanishing behind it <_< Have to take away some more plastic on the fuselage side and rearange it. Or should I leave it this way?...

pit4wv2.jpg

pitoffenxq0.jpg

The Engine. Just some lead wire and some little scale nuts were added. Wire still has to be glued on on the ring. A small piece of painted Red Bull Can Alu was also glued onto the right side to duplicate the data plate.

motor1no6.jpg

motor2av6.jpg

Here´s da Seat: Belts are scratched out of Alu Foil, Buckles by Technics (Meteor)

sitzir9.jpg

More Pix in next post....

One more pic of the stabilizer in better light:

stabisq4.jpg

The Bombs. Started to rough the surface up with some nitro and Surfacer:

bombenif1.jpg

And, last but not least, the rear end of my T-Bolt:

tail1fz3.jpg

As you can see I cut off the rudder again, trying to pose it with a little drive.

tailsgegenlichtrk9.jpg

And again a poor try to show you the Stressed Skin effect on the frame. Well, have to figure out to show it better, as it was a very long session (was on the edge of getting insane) for making this.

Hope you like it so far. Maybe you have some Hints for me what I could make better on my next build (maybe MDC Tiffy)

Cheers from Vienna

Jerry

Guest canuck63

Servus Jerry,

first off welcome aboard <_< ....then let me tell you that your friend is a very contagious case of Modelitis Infectiva...and...sorry to tell you...there's no cure for that :rolleyes: !

You're doing a marvelous job mate...really,really impressive!

Cheers

Manny

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I hope I can show you some progress soon. Next task on the list is to join the fuselage halves, fill and sand all joints on the back and bottom and to detail those weel wells...

@ Haggis: You assume right, this is going to be a 9th AF Workhorse in NMF, "Snortin´Bull" to be exact. Ride of "Hoss" Mullins, CO of the 507th FS in mid 1944. Have the montex super masks for the Insignia and Code Letters and the LSP Dry Transfers for the little stencils.

Cheers,

Jerry

That is awesome work Jerry, really nice. I've been tempted to try the stressed-skin effect myself, but haven't had the courage so far. When done well, it really is very effective.

Kev

Kev,

Check the Osprey Book on building the Zero. The method described is time consuming but actually quite simple. I tried on an old fuselage and it came out great. Unfortunately, I didn't have the rest of the kit!

Kev,

Check the Osprey Book on building the Zero. The method described is time consuming but actually quite simple. I tried on an old fuselage and it came out great. Unfortunately, I didn't have the rest of the kit!

Yep Rocky, got that one (really need it for my Revell Zero rebuild!), but still don't have the courage. ;) Will try it one day I guess - after all, I been through all the other methods you'd normally use to ruin a model. :) Brian Criner's work is amazing though.

Kev