Chance-Vought XF5U-1 'Flying Pancake'

ruzlkampf

Oh yeah, don't worry about drawing anything 1 inch or less, I can scale out any size drawing/pic to whatever I want for decaling. Make it any size you want. Here's another view from the front showing another mock-up. I'm going to replace those paper cooling fan templates with styrene blades of course,(just have them on to size the 'spinner' that will go in the center),.. but this is the first pic I've posted showing the 'pilot pod' plugged onto the front. :lol:

post-4413-1221434895.jpg

Okay, as an aside...I've received numerous PM requests to post pics of what I look like. :lol: Guess it's always nice to put a face to a name, eh?! Just so happens I had some pics taken last weekend! Had a buddy tagging along with me when I launched a 1/32nd scale paper/cardboard Saturn V rocket I taped/glued together one night....just to see iif I could do it. 5-1st stage engines got it off the ground pretty good, but alas the local police took a dim view of a 7ft. tall rocket being launched from an island in the middle of Mission Bay. Pity. Here I am, 51 year old kid out playing with my toys;(typical tourist pose pointing and saying "looky") Bwhahaha!

post-4413-1221435740.jpg

I actually live on a sailboat, and have an apartment ashore for taking showers and storing my un-built models. So....I guess this is what you'd call 'Russville'. :lol: I'm just off the tip of Point Loma, and you can just see the San Diego skyline off the port(my left shoulder)quarter. Very rare pic as I NEVER take a camera anywhere near salt water! Gotta be the most caustic envirnment ever. Shame because North Island NAS is just to my left, and I'm on the approach path for all the FA-18's coming in and could get some nice pics. Oh well. Gotta go get this cowpie onto it's gear, cause I DO want to post a pic tonight of the ludicrous stance this has to clear the props. So....I'll post more pics tonight as things progress. Bye!, Russ

post-4413-1221436429.jpg

Hahaha! Gregory, you ARE incorrigible! :rolleyes: She does have a certain alluring 'charm' ,eh! :lol:

Just happened to catch one of my favorite bands in concert this week,..'Decline Of Southern Culture'. Whooeeee, I got off on that song,'Dirt Track Date' and when they threw fried chicken into the audience. heh heh. I used to live in Mississippi myself Greg. It's true, I still cry when I hear a soulful rendition of 'Dixie'...and a piece of the ole ticker is still in the South for sure. sigh.

Ahem,...back to the 'flapjack'! Later, Russ

Well Mike, According to my crude triangulation device for afixing altitude,(a protractor on a stick!) it went 552 ft. Shoulda seen the tourists gazing in wild-eyed wonder as I pulled this thing off the rack atop my '60 VW bug and set it up! I guess they thought I was an aspiring nuclear terrorist(uhmm, which I am :rolleyes: ), and I was trying to shoot down an airliner taking off from Lindburg Field and called the cops. Hmmm, sounds so obvious now. whups.

Amazingly enough, I had another brush with the law today out sailing in SD bay. Got into an impromtude water balloon fight with a couple of other sailboaters(Aaaar yes matey's...give em another broadside!) and I had run up a 'jolly roger' to fit the ambviance of the occasion. Amazingly enough, according to my charts of the bay...I had strayed into 'international waters' and got a ticket for flying a 'flag of piracy'!! :rolleyes: Bwhahah! Price of the ticket for flying the 'black flag'....$352. Price of being labeled an official '21st century pirate'....PRICELESS! :ph34r: Aaaaaar. ;)

Later, Russ....A.K.A. 'Black(getting gray)beard The Pirate'

P.S. I'm trying like the dickens to get this thing on it's gear Daywalker, but I'm easily led astray. Been working on the 'pilot pod' now, and been mocking up a prop to cast in resin. Prop diameter is 16ft.!!! :o Oh yeah.

Here's where I was last night. Thought ya'll might be interested in how I'm building up the 'pilot pod'? ;) Much further along than this tonight, but too busy to post recent pics. It's hard for me to stop when I get focused on something. Whew! This things got more curves than a belly dancer! :P

The 'pod' in initial frameing up.

post-4413-1221653803.jpg

Oh yeah, had to mock my resin pilot up so I could make sure he fits. Genuine WWII naval 'aviator' from Master Details. Gorgeously cast...you can even see his eyes. Whoooooo :P

post-4413-1221654018.jpg

Here he is in the office. Haven't got a name for him yet,...just call him 'YoYo' for now but that'll probably stick. ;) As can be seen, it's a tight fit. Those red lines are where the instrument panel 'hood' will go. Working up on how to put a gunsight there someplace.

post-4413-1221654331.jpg