Chance-Vought XF5U-1 'Flying Pancake'

ruzlkampf

Okay,,see those cowling formers that go between the banks of the cylinders out in front? I'm going to use the same principle to install in the blob and keep the CG within believable limits. You can also see where I've already started to open up the skin to see whats structurally behind where the engines actually go. Another reason I skinned this in paper first....it shows mr exactly where everything is placed. Makes tasks like this a real no-brainer. :o

Here's how I'm going to do the engine install.

post-4413-1220843332.jpg

Whoakay, some background on the 'pancake' power transmission is required about now. Those 'openings' in the leading edge are actuall cooling fans driven off the (rear) ancillaries end of the motor. Drive shaft goes to the rear of the 'shape' and hooks to a transfer case tieing both engines together. So if an engine fails, power still goes to both props.

Like this;

post-4413-1220843806.jpg

Another view from the top. Those are the cooling fan openings(will look like jet intakes,...heck could actually BE jet intakes if turbine powered?! ;) hmmmm) in the front leading edge with the engines facing(power shafts to the prop) to the rear. I've tried to find info on the transfer case and such, but AFAIK, it's still classified!!!! :o hmmmm.

Landing gear will have to wait until I get my reference material, so I'm going to be hollowing out the engine bays and making it look 'busy'. More pics as things develop! ;) Russ

post-4413-1220843911.jpg

I've already called you a madman Russ, so I'm running out of suitable adjectives now. You're certainly not shrinking from this one, are you? This could almost qualify as a sci-fi build!

Good work my friend, good work.

Kev

Whahoo! Well, got my landing gear pretty much mocked up, and stuck on the blob a few times to see how it's gonna look. Realized I haven't posted in a few days, so thought I'd give ya'll an idea what I've been whittling on. :)

Actually have the LG retraction mechanism completed, and the tailwheel strut done, but I'm holding back on pics of that until I have my wheels/tires hacked together. Gonna have to build my own, cause I can't find any that are the correct diameter/width. I'll be posting more pics this weekend showing the current status; engines blocked in--landing gear mocked up almost entirely--the leading edge defined--and this darn blue paper skin OFF the darn thing!!! ;)

This is where I was earlier with the landing gear; Oh my.

post-4413-1221132663.jpg

Yep, except for the pilot and engines...I'm planning on scratching everything. That pic only has about 1/3 of the gear assembly propped into the blob, all the retraction mechanism isn't shown. I'm getting some factory released drawings B) on CD in the mail tomorrow, so I don't want anything glued on yet as I need detailed schematics of the wheel well detail, brake detail, and plumbing routing, ect.

In the mean-time, I've been working on the pilot pod. Kinda reached the point where I'm waiting for all my reference stuff to show up in the post. Looks like it's all gonna show up on Friday, all at one time. ;) So...I've been doing stuff like drilling out 64 spark-plug holes, exhaust manifolding, and other assorted what-nots. Lotsa fun! :)

Hey Dude,

amazing work on those LG! Can not belive the speed you actually build things considering the quality :D

Really great stuff!

Rocky,

gotta ask... who is that lady with the stars and bars speedo? Plus is it you in the background?

Cheers,

Loic