Chance-Vought XF5U-1 'Flying Pancake'

ruzlkampf

Hey Lee, you ought to build one of these too....let's see, 2 'pancakes' would make it a 'short stack' for this GB!! :blink:

Hey Russ!

Thanks, but I've settled on another oddball carrier plane- i've decided to do a Yak-38, and will start a new thread when I've started it. The pancake will still be on my to-do list, tho- :rolleyes:

Lee

Excellent work so far. Very inspiring! :blink:

Hey Russ!

Thanks, but I've settled on another oddball carrier plane- i've decided to do a Yak-38, and will start a new thread when I've started it. The pancake will still be on my to-do list, tho- :rolleyes:

Lee

Yay, the Yak was my first idea for this GB, too. Somewhat odd and cool at the same time :o

Hey All, Thanks for looking in and checking this 'thing' out! Wow, how cool!, I was looking to do a Yak too, but I know less about that...than this. Looks like a way cool project!

I've been frying my feeble little mind doing the 'paper airplane thing' tonight. :rolleyes: Needed to skin it with the paper parts to get my leading-edge zeroed in, and work on the recessed cowlings for the cooling fans.(okay, I actually just wanted to see what it would look like too. :rolleyes:) Looks kinda bizarre, and more than a little wavy cause of course I didn't glue the paper to the blob. As can be seen, all the panel lines and nacelle outlines are already layed out for me to make templates from in the future. These plans are making this WAY easier to build this than if I just went off drawings.

I've started on the landing gear, and tailwheel....but I'm still waiting on a reference book I ordered, and I don't want to get too serious about detail until I have something 'real' to look at. Don't want to do anything twice, whoohoo! :rolleyes:

Here's some pics of the pancake during 'mock-up';

post-4413-1220786016.jpg

Yeah, I know the canopy looks clunky, but the framework will make a great pattern for when I vacuform a plastic one. I just had to try a compond curve canopy outta paper. But!,...it's like I heard about Mt. Fuji,.."A wise man will climb to the top at least once, only a fool will do it twice",..ehrm, or something like that. :rolleyes:

Let's move on; Underside view.

post-4413-1220786501.jpg

Last pic of the night. Really wanted to show it 'propped up' on it's landing gear, but I don't have my tires ready yet and it would look stranger than it usually does. Can't wait to get my patterns done, and rip this paper off like Christmas wrapping paper.

While it's on, I'm going to jig up a mounting for the pilot 'pod'. Also looking askew at putting R-2800's in it, as I think it would increase the wing(hmm, actually lifting surface area) loading to an unacceptable level. Fuel consumption would go out the roof too. Bah!, I hate it when I use 'logic', it's so....limiting. :rolleyes: Been doing research on the R-2000 radials, and found out they were only put on DC-4's(?). They are basically 'souped up' R-1820' single row radials. I think that would be a more pragmatic choice,...but definitely not as cool. hmmmm. More pics as I progress, Russ

post-4413-1220786828.jpg

Thanks Guys! ;) Wish I'd checked out your thread on your paper Val before starting this project Allok(it was before I joined, and I never got a chance to check it out :o )!!! Lots of cool info. Paper planes, are uh,...inique for sure, and I'm glad I checked it out and have tried it, but I dunno if I'll ever do it often. Sure makes a nice tool to get a scratch project up and running quick though!

Threw caution and logic 'to the winds'....this is of course a 'what if', and have decided to go with 2 Trumpeter R-2800 radials. Gas guzzling-overpowered-glides like a brick-hot rod....YEAH BABY!!!!

post-4413-1220842413.jpg

Now tell me without grinning from ear-to-ear that THIS wouldn't be a 'wild ride'??!!! ;) Visibility for carrier landings would've been excellent as the pilot is so far forward. BUT, if there was an "anomaly" of some sort during the trap, and ya had to 'pancake'(ahem) it on the deck....I think the last thing to go thru the back of yer mind would be---one of those engines. :o Bwhahaha!!

But I digress;

post-4413-1220842803.jpg