ME-110G-2

Boy!, Didn't even get my last post out before Kevin says"butchered"! :lol: Hey, that's a finely honed piece of sculpture...uhhh, maybe just a hacked lump of plastic?, naw it's butchered alright ;) ! If I had more time, it'd be in a lot more pieces than that. Bwhahaha!

I must be getting old, cause I'm seriously contemplating putting a----CAMERA, in it instead of the 37mm AA gunpod!!!! Yep, thinking of actually making it a recon to go wth the markings. Camera would go behind the pilot back in the gunners area where the breeches for the MG-151's would go, and might be kinda interesting to scratch up. Those putty fumes must be getting to me. Ah well, if I go completely nuts....I at least won't ever know. Back to the sanding! Russ

heh, heh!, Couldn't wait until I was completely finished with the engines before showing a few pics. :D Been whittling on these for the last 2 nights, and should be done today! Whoohoo! :rolleyes: Also wanted to show some 1/32nd scale plans in the background for somebody(who shall remain nameless :rolleyes: ) who was interested in such things.

As you can see, I still have a little bit left to wet-sand when these pics were taken. They are now complete, and lookin sweet. Actually working on the oil coolers and spark plug cooling scoops, ect. tonight, but I always show pics of where I was earlier. Next step is to scribe the wings, and install radiators. Just an update before tomorrows picture show,...I couldn't wait!

post-4413-1216469380.jpg

post-4413-1216469402.jpg

The "top main engine cover", or whatever, is standing a little 'proud' as it was the last panel left to fill and hasn't been sanded yet. While it was drying I was attacking the other wing and finishing it off. I've been waiting for my resin tires/spinners to show up, so I could post pics with the new spinners on it. They're supposed to be here TODAY according to the tracking #'s. So happy, I'm tap-dancing on the ceiling! More pics tonight after I take some non-fuzzy pics in REAL light during the day. Russ

Wow Russ,

what a nice job on those engines! On one pic, we can see the second engine that is apparently not yet filled up with miliput but it is note empty.... Can I please ask what material you used (Balsa wood?) to "pre-fill"?

Also, I myself would love to see what the wheel well look like if possible. Did you managed to keep those reasonably deep?

Cheers,

Loic

PS: nice drawings, that must be one big bird in 32nd scale...

Darn!, If I had known it would interest anybody, I would have included pics of the engine mock-ups 'blocked' in. :blink: Blast!, I almost did too. Well, here is a pic I scribbled out to show how I only used putty on 1/3 of the volumn. Scrap styrene is what I had in reach, but balsa woulda worked great too! There's got to be a zillion different ways to do this, I'm just making this up as I go along.(on a schedule!!! :( )

post-4413-1216537268.jpg

As I LOVE to putty things, and am trying out new things all the time....I ended up using 3 different types of fillers. Milliput silver/grey for the 'undercoat', followed by Milliput 'super fine'(just to see if it would stick to the bottom layer, and check out it's sanding qualities down to 1500grit), followed by Tamiya polyester filler for any little pinholes/whatnots. Used about 1/3 of a box of Milliput for both motors, which ain't too bad weight-wise. Milliput bonded to itself well, and these motors are so slick I don't think a fly could land on them without skidding off! Ended going down to 2000 grit wet/dry to get it real nice and smooth, cause there are so many compound curves every little blurb shows in the right light. Still haven't finished with them yet, as I'm having an 'issue' about whether there is a bump/hump/blister/or fairing over the magneto on the top rear of the motor. I have a hump right now, but I might have a little more carving to do. Had a very trying day, and not my usual effervescent self cause I'm so tired. Will include another(crappy :rolleyes: ) pic from the time of my last post, when I had finallized my oil cooler placement/attachment. Took a ton of pics today, but none seemed to come out right. I need to put a coat of primer on these motors, as they're white/shiney and hard to get any contrast. More pics when I get up from my nap.

post-4413-1216538541.jpg

Sorry for the quality, but I'm 'elbows 'n rear-ends' trying to get this basically blocked up in time to give a cushion of a week to paint this before the dead-line. Gotta go.....Russ

P.S. My resin spinners/wheels didn't come in the mail today either :angry: , that's what kind of day it was! I'm sure tomorrow will be much better, eh?!

Hey Larry,

I am glad this could help but I think it would be outrageous to claim this idea as being mine :blink:

Russ,

the finish looks really nice, neat and smooth and I like the idea of using styren to box the engine nacels .

I too love puttty as you already know but one thing I sometime think is not so good/funny with it is scribbing. I often find it brittle and/or so hard it makes the scribbing process close to a nightmare :rolleyes:

I would be interested in getting your (and eventually others) feed back on that: Am I screwing the blending (I mainly use milliput)?

Cheers,

Loic

Great work Russ, and thanks for filling us in on your secret. :blink:

I too love puttty as you already know but one thing I sometime think is not so good/funny with it is scribbing. I often find it brittle and/or so hard it makes the scribbing process close to a nightmare :rolleyes:

I would be interested in getting your (and eventually others) feed back on that: Am I screwing the blending (I mainly use milliput)?

I haven't tried this Loic, but I'll throw it out there as an idea anyway. How about lightly scribing the Milliput before it has cured? Give it half-an-hour or so, and try it while it's still slightly pliable, rather than waiting until it's fully cured. Worth a go at least, I reckon!

Kev

Hi Kev,

thanks for feed back :blink:

I have tried that one already and it does work OK if:

- you have not planned to sand/shape your putty once curred

- the thickness of the putty layer is such that it will not shrink (or anything like that) when it does cure (if it does, one should sand/shape/add putty/etc...)

I confirm your trick can work for some (most?) of the application but when it comes to scratch a complete engine framing like Russ si doing, it is not that good :rolleyes: For such an application, I have myself never managed to achive a decent result so far... :angry:

Cheers,

Loic

YAWN/scratch/flatuance/blink!!!, OK, I've just got up, and I see Loic is already running amok on this thread! :rolleyes: he he. Alright, not quite awake yet, but I am up EARLY cause I'm going to whup on this project like a red-haired step-child today!

Lemme see if I can answer some questions here....even if I don't have the metabolism of a hummingbird yet! :D

#1- YES, I am going to make copies of these engines, Dave. I would like to make a public apology for not answering your PM earlier. I had to move my VW restoration shop to some new/bigger digs yesterday, and buy a HUGE new compressor(100 gallon-10 hp--whoohoo wonder if I can borrow THAT for airbrushing with!!! :huh: ). Kinda put a damper on this project for my Saturday, eh? Another reason that I didn't change the chord on the wng, and do a LOT of other mods that I'll do for my Me-110 G-4 project in the future,...is because I wanted these to fit on anybody else's UNMODIFIED kit wing. I am engineering(?) these motors to be cut off as soon as I'm done with this group-build. I'll be passing these out like candy to all my buddies for free, and I'd be more than pleased to get you a set or two. I'll PM you later today with more details. If anybody else would like a set, feel free to PM me.

#2-OK, to answer Loic's question, what was it again? B) Just kidding buddy! I actually used my acute perception, and foresight(aaagh, too early in the morning to be waxing eloquent), to HOPEFULLY get around the very problem you talked about! That is; how to scribe the lines on a Milliputtied(?) cowling. This is another reason I wished I'd shown the pic(mentioned earlier) of my motor mock-ups 'boxed in'. I had more modifications to show than just how I 'decreased putty volumn' by applying styrene sheets. Uuuuuhh, for this I'll need some coffee, and a little time to go to the local burger doodle for breakfast. I usually work nights, and this getting up ( a true 'artiste' never gets up before noon?) at the crack of dawn sucks. I'll be back in about 15 minutes with an explanation and a(crude) 3-D cad type drawing to answer your question. Be right back!! Russ