Switches and Knobs !!!

I have being struggling to make some small switch's for my latest project (The 'snake' Stuka)

At the present moment I use a punch on various thickness plastic sheets, thats the easy bit, but I then struggle

picking up the small disk of punched plastic, positioning it and glueing it in place. :rolleyes:

My question is, what method does other people out there use ?

I use a toothpick. Stick it in my mouth, get it wet and then just apply the small end to the plastic disk. Works pretty well. Place the button on to a pre glued spot on the panel and it will stay. No fuss, no muss. No residue either.

OH yeh, if its a round cocktail toothpick, snip off the tip so you have a flat end.

Sabre

Hi Martyn,

I could recommend a tip that I learnt on the LSP forums. You can easily pick up the small discs if you lick the tip of a clean paint brush that has a very fine point. After you've positioned the disc use a very small amount of Tamiya extra thin liquid cement to cement in place.

Good luck..

Stuka yeah?

HTH...cheers Matt :rolleyes:

The wet brush or toohpick tip works well. You can also prick it with a new Xacto blade and pick it up that way.

For the really small stuff, you can glue it dipping it into a puddle of Future or clear paint. The paint or Future does a good job of gluing.

using styrene rod for the shaft/lever I build up a knob with sucessive applications of white glue which eventually builds up to a milky white/semi clear knob on the end of the rod. Then you can paint it the color you wish...

Cheers,

ggc

I use the same method to pick things up as Ray- with the Knife tip.

For control levers and knobs, I use .25mm styrene rod (same as CPNGROATS). Except, to get the knob part, I melt the end slighly with a lighter/candle.

I make knobs on control levers by taking a piece of sprue or pin that will serve as the main piece. I then dip it into Elmers glue and let he thing dry while it is hanging upside down. Gravity forces the glue to accumulate at the tip and it will dry into a round shape. Once dry I paint the knob and trim the shank part to size and install.

Cheers,

Max Bryant