1/32 Vulcan kit, only $600+ dollars.

ssculptor

Currently on ebay,

1:32 AVRO VULCAN KIT 25 ONLY MADE BY HERITAGE AVIATION Item number: 110197065765

Starting price is 300 pounds Sterling. :o

At first, I thought that this was a rather high price. :lol:

But, then I reflected a bit and looked at other hobbies that are out there. ;)

Radio contol model airplanes can easily go beyond this price. All that electronical equipment and motors cost money.

How about the guys who work on real automobiles, $600 is nothing to them. A set of wheels and tires can cost twice that, easily. :D

How much is a new set of golf clubs? :lol:

We won't discuss the guys whose hobby is the High Life. The cost of good booze, gambling, expensive women, drugs..., well, they live in a different world from most of us. B)

So, I guess 300 pounds Stirling for this kit really isn't so bad, is it? ;)

But in comparison with plastic model kits that cost from $10 (21st Century) to $125 (Trumpeter), this does seem a bit excessive. At least for me, anyway. :huh:

However, considering the time, effort and cost of manufacturing this limited run resin kit, well, I do think it is worth the price.

After all, its only money. :lol:

Its just not for me. :)

If you decided to buy one and then spend the next six or 12 months building it, in terms of money outlay it seems a lot of fun

for a reasnoble price. Or look at it this way , if you spent the next 6 or twelve months on booze , woman, and cigs your $600.00

would last you only a few days with nothing to show for it except a hangover, bad breath , and a sore dick. ;)

HI Yep everything has gone up in price. Cars, houses, cloths, food and oh yes models. A old Monogram P-51D 1/48 scale kit that sold for about $2.50 in 1970 now will cost you about $12.50 in the Revell releace. The model hobby still gives you the biggest bang for the bucks.

Texas ;) :lol: :lol:

If you decided to buy one and then spend the next six or 12 months building it, in terms of money outlay it seems a lot of fun

for a reasnoble price. Or look at it this way , if you spent the next 6 or twelve months on booze , woman, and cigs your $600.00

would last you only a few days with nothing to show for it except a hangover, bad breath , and a sore dick. ;)

Yeah!

Dat's what I calls gettin me money's wort! :lol:

Brooklyn Bennie

HI Yep everything has gone up in price. Cars, houses, cloths, food and oh yes models. A old Monogram P-51D 1/48 scale kit that sold for about $2.50 in 1970 now will cost you about $12.50 in the Revell releace. The model hobby still gives you the biggest bang for the bucks.

I know. :huh:

But when I open a crate in the basement and look at a Revell 1/32 kit from the 1960's with a price tag of $2.98, well.... :lol:

HI I know what your talking about. I used to buy half a dozen of one kit when they were that price and never bat a eye. Now I thank just how bad do I want one or will I relly ever build it before I jump in and buy one yes one. But then some of us with farley large stashes can fall back on them if models get to expensive.

LOL Keith

Yeah its a big outlay but then its a limited release...only 25. ???Investment. You're an avid Ebayer Steven...can you imagine what it 'could' be worth in 10 years??

Hopefully someone will build one for us to see. I have some data I could share for that kind of build. :rolleyes:

.....I almost decided to buy such a monster, and was pretty much on my way transferring some bankaccount numbers and such when i caught sight of an article by one of our IPMS members having visited Telford and witnessing the actually built model...........You guys might have seen it somewhere on the web, but this guys report on it wasn't very favourable.

It seems to have some serious shape problems and considering the high price i just "bailed-out", chickened out, and mailed the seller my findings.

He didn't comment on it, just assured me to be able to sell it anyhow.....so now it showed up on evilbay he????

Oh well, i also would like to see it built someday, ....... :rolleyes:

cheers,

J.

There are definitely kits I'd pay $600 for (if they existed, that is), but definitely not a Vulcan. Give me a great kitting of any of the following in 1/32 or 1/24, and I'd happily pay $600:

Martin P6M (any variant)

Martin JRM

Martin B-10 or B-12

Martin B-26 (especially a B-26, B-26A or short-wing B/C

Yeah, there's sort of a trend there.

I am glad you like my sense of humor guys, i like a bit of fun and hope i dont upset anyone ;)

We here in the USA are a bunch of sissies when it comes to risque language.

Go surf the great Britmodel site if you want to see some language that can really wake you up!

They are a really fun group of guys!

Their selection of emoticons are fantastic!

http://www.britmodeler.com/forums/index.php?

Yep. I saw some good shots of it on Britmodeller in Heritages little forum. Its certainly a massive aircraft. I had a laugh at the coffee table comments but it'd be just about big enough for one. It is gigantic!!

Very brave of Ian to put it to the masses for comment on shape etc. Good stuff mate and I hope something good comes from it for you.

I wonder wether manufacturing problems are encountered on an aircraft of this size...issues that don't appear in 1/48 or smaller scales?

Can't wait to see one built. I met the daughter of a test pilot who flew Vulcans during their development. Not bad at show and tell eh lads.

Cheers Matty

And just recall that you were paying $.35 a gallon for gas back then too ;) And a really nice three bedroom house went for about $15,000.

J

Yes, you are right.

Back in 1966 I bought a new Chevrolet Corvette Stingray for only $3,875. That would not even be the down payment for a new Corvette today. I recall gas at 21 cents a gallon in the mid '60's in Chicago. And in 1976 a friend down the block from me in Stamford, Connecticut, sold his house for $35,000 when he moved to Florida. Today that same house would sell for at least 10 times that.

But there are three areas that have skyrocketed in proportion to income over the years: housing, automobiles and education. In the early 1960's I was paying $800 per year at the university for a full program (up to 42 credit hours per year). That is $800 per year, not per credit hour as it is today. When I was working while I was going for my masters degree in the evening I was paying 25% of my income for my 5 room apartment in a lower middle class neighborhood. That is only 25%. Nowadays my children have to pay 125% of their individual income for an apartment. So they double or triple up with friends to take an apartment. My daughter bought a house and both she and her husband have to work full time to pay the mortgage.

Ah nostalgia.