New Dragon P51D Mustang (F-6D)

Radub

Ironwing, if Radu and yourself cannot see fact that the cuffs are inverted on Tim's last 2 pics, so be it.

I'm sure your build will be stunning regardless.

Tourist,

I dont remember saying I missed the reversed image of Tim's post. That shot is from the Squadron pub and I passed it by purposely because it was reversed. I didnt think it served any purpose other than to further confuse things. My intention here is to resolve an issue for those interested, not to just add noise.

Hope you are well,

Geoff

Oh no, not this again. This is bugging me (or has been) and I need an answer or at least a bullet to put it to rest. Aside from the other work going on, Ive been toying with the prop from the Dragon kit. I've looked at a bunch of pictures, all of which were mostly bad; shadows and angles just dont show what this thing is supposed to be shaped like.

I do think I've found the problem however. There is nothing wrong with the prop ...if it rotates CW rather than CCW. Yes my good friends, it's a right handed prop. :rolleyes:

Can someone have a look at this to verify? I think I'm right and am looking into how to fix the problem (if it can be).

Geoff

There we go again! :rolleyes:

Seriously, that would account for the people who claimed the prop was inverted (myself included).

It's more easily visible at the root where the cuffs are.

Sadly I have no idea about fixing it. :rolleyes:

I know you don't like the idea but you may want to work with the Hasegawa prop. :rolleyes:

Just a thought, maybe Dragon shaped their prop looking at the inverted picture posted earlier in this thread.

The fix for the Dragon prop is about finished. Here is what needs to be done:

1. Save one of the Dragon prop blades for shape and dimensions and to use as a mold.

2. Throw the rest away.

3. Fasion four new blades. I used the blades from an old Revell Jug. They are too long, and the tips are different but otherwise not to bad to reshape.

The molding is ancient and it looks it. The cuff end is a mess and requires a considerable amount of sanding. Even then, their isnt enough material to make the cuff.

4. Fashion four new cuffs. I used aluminum stock. I'll put this over in the build section. It will take some explaining and pictures.

You can always use the Hasegawa prop.

Hope everyone is well...

Geoff

Well guys all l can say is time to pull this out again

post-542-1192206052.gif

as for coughing up another furball there Geoff l think there been several in fact enough to make two cats :( :P :) Ask for the comment about the cockpit being the hole people climb into .... nice one !!!! :P :)

l have said it once and l will say it again like most kits there are errors and there are improvements over other kits the thing is it can be any worst or better then the next

I do think I've found the problem however. There is nothing wrong with the prop ...if it rotates CW rather than CCW. Yes my good friends, it's a right handed prop. :)

Yep, that's been the problem all along. Although the surfaces of the blade are virtually identical in airfoil, the cuffs give it away. They have a leading edge and a trailing edge, and they seem to be the wrong way 'round.

Some builders have jimmied a fix just by cutting a tiny wedge out of the rear bottom edge of the cuff and reattaching the wedge to the front. It's a cosmetic fix, but helps a lot visually.

Someone needs to hold a Dragon blade in one hand and feel up a real Mustang blade in the other!

As for the Dragon kit in general, I was more annoyed with the ONCE AGAIN incorrect wheelwell framing and the clunky riveting. Dragon had a shot at producing an ultimate Mustang and muffed it. Many of the parts are really nice.

We can hope that Dragon's aviation wing follows the lead of their armor division, and constantly tweaks molding between editions. These master designs exist in CAD and can be modified.