New Dragon P51D Mustang (F-6D)

Radub

As for the Dragon kit in general, I was more annoyed with the ONCE AGAIN incorrect wheelwell framing and the clunky riveting. Dragon had a shot at producing an ultimate Mustang and muffed it. Many of the parts are really nice.

+1 :)

Oh no, not this again. This is bugging me (or has been) and I need an answer or at least a bullet to put it to rest. Aside from the other work going on, Ive been toying with the prop from the Dragon kit. I've looked at a bunch of pictures, all of which were mostly bad; shadows and angles just dont show what this thing is supposed to be shaped like.

I do think I've found the problem however. There is nothing wrong with the prop ...if it rotates CW rather than CCW. Yes my good friends, it's a right handed prop. :P

Can someone have a look at this to verify? I think I'm right and am looking into how to fix the problem (if it can be).

Geoff

Erm...

...am I slowly gettin' stupid, or why can't I follow anymore? Are we talking about the general sense of rotation (that looks pretty much right for me) or what's the matter now? So far, I found the discussion tedious, but now I'm really lost... :) ;) B)

KOTR, you are so right... I feel the same

5.jpg

Gents,

The nice CGI is correct but not what is supplied in the kit. The blades in the kit are the opposite and dead wrong. However, you are welcome to think as you wish.

Geoff

Yeah, I still don't get it...

...I look at various photos from the real thing and see a prop running clockwise when looking in flight direction. There was even one reversed picture corrected. And then I look at various pictures of built and in progress Dragon Mustangs and still see a prop running clockwise, looking the same direction...

...to bad I can't get my hand on the kit to check myself, its a bit difficult to get here for some reason.

So, me stupid, me in need of additional english lessons, me suffering from dimmishing eyesight or me with a brain blockade? Or perhaps none of my business as a non-member of the great honourable Mustang guild? That'd be perfectly fine for me too, as long as someone tells me that upfront instead avoiding to address the issue. I'm just a inquiring mind asking for an answer and not just an insinuation. Pictures highlighting the problem may perhaps work better with me as a non-native english speaker, if that ain't to much work. Thanks in advance for your efforts :rolleyes:

Hey KOTR if you wanna get in the guild you've got to learn the secret handshake. :rolleyes:

Seriously though I don't know which way the Dragon prop rotates, nor do I care, all I saw was the wrong shape (more easily visible at the cuffs) and that made any further examination useless (for me).

You're right about the prop direction, in a Mustang, seen from the cockpit the prop goes clockwise.

Well l been following this thread and even though there are mistakes they are all correctable either from scratch building new ones or get the sets l bet are coming to correct the deficiencies in the kit which by the way could also be easily applied to the Hasegawa kit too so really this is all mute by the time that happens

Well...so far the weight of 'evidence' that there is something wrong with the prop is pretty light. Buzz might be stroking things in both hands but it doesn't do much to convince or clarify graphically what apparently is so obvious to him but not to a lot of us.

Hard evidence you naysayers I reckon.

me suffering from dimmishing eyesight or me with a brain blockade?

KOTR you are only 29 and suffering from this?? :) ;) wait until you get to my age heck the other day l walked passed a cemetery and two guys with shovels started to chase me down the street :blink: :blink: :P :lol: :lol:

KOTR you are only 29 and suffering from this?? :) ;) wait until you get to my age heck the other day l walked passed a cemetery and two guys with shovels started to chase me down the street :blink: :blink: :P :lol: :lol:

Hm, perhaps they were members of the great honourable Mustang guild hunting for guys who are too curious about the Dragon kit's prop issue...

...I suspect a conspiracy...

...had some visitors, too, this afternoon, but they stepped back like vampires when I showed them my Messerschmidt :P

Matt, I think all the graphic evidence has already been shown in this thread, beyond that it's a matter of interpretation.

Hacker, I'm not so sure we'll see a lot of aftermarket parts for the Dragon kit, controversy seems to have driven a lot of companies away.

Eduard made some pretty nice PE parts though. :)

Matt, I think all the graphic evidence has already been shown in this thread

Thank you, and I did my best to put that evidence forward, but, strangely, you always ignored it. ;)

However, what Matt is talking about is evidence to show that they are wrong. :lol:

Radu

Dragon did make an effort to get this complex shape right. (Don't go by the CAD drawings on the box! They don't look like the actual part!) Basically, it's an equilateral airfoil that relies on the twist along it's length for lift. The attachment shaft indeed seems to follow through to the outside tip. I'm tempted to chuck it into a Dremel to see if there's any tip wobble.

Maybe there's something to be said for that notion that we've been conditioned by earlier kits with incorrect props!

Still, what looks weird isn't in the blade, it's in the cuff. Is there such an exaggerated twist in the real cuffs?

Also, the alignment pip on the shaft places the blade places the prop in very rough pitch. Remove the pip and the prop can be placed in a more realistic pitch.

BTW, the way the kit is engineered, Dragon can fix the wheelwell problem pretty easily.

It will be interesting to compare it to the F-6 when it's released to see if there have been any tweaks.

Buzz, thanks for the input once again.

About the F-6 kit unless Dragon makes a last minute change it looks exactly like the current P-51 (CADs + description).

Radu you crazy genius, I didn't ignore your info I just saw something different in it and I don't think I'm the only one, Matt and yourself seem to be the only ones thinking the prop is fine. :lol:

Was bound and determined not to get into this topic as at one time I was told here that anyone with a computer and an internet connection could be an expert on something.

But, seeing this fire drill unfold as it has finally drew me out, so...........

#1 thing with the Dragon prop is that it is 7 scale inches to large in dia. It measures out (at least mine did) to 11'-9", should be 11'-2".

In 1:1 that's nearly 1/4" or .250

#2 Simply no airfoil shape to the blades. The blade and cuff are the same thickness from leading edge to trailing edge. The bottom of the cuff also needs to be recontoured to the correct shape.

#3 The blades look to have been molded with the face and back facing the wrong direction, 180 ° off if you will. Like they were made for ccw rotation instead of

cw (as viewed from the cockpit) as they should be.

#4. The blade twists doesn't look correct but, looking for a good clear end view of the real thing to compare with to be sure.

Later