Special Hobby 1/32 P-39

GVINCENT

here pick one up? I picked one up at the nats and wish I had got 2! It looks good in the box and I didn't realize it had PE parts included until closer inspection of the contents at home! Are there any build reviews good or bad yet?

It's really hard not to get this one going, but I made a decision to finish the unfinished projects first and it seems to be working. I've finished 4 in the last 8 months and I feel good about that!

Anyway, I hope the P-39 is as good as it looks!

I also got a Dragon P-51 for $20. Seemed like a good price considering the negative reviews. Thought I would take a shot at it.

Gary V.

Hey Gary

I didnt attend the Nats but I have a friend bringing one home for me. One question, even though its a P-39, I was curious if the kit also included the 12 stack exhausts of a P-400?

Dave/Ironman1945

Ironman Dave,

I'm not sure because I don't know alot about the P-39. I can tell you that the exhausts are the only (thankfully) resin parts in the kit. There are 6 holes in the exhausts, but the single holes look like 2 per exhausts blended into 1. Like how headers on car exhausts are separate then welded into a single pipe. Does that make sense? so 2 header-like, separate tubes, into a common exhaust outlet. Sorry if this doesn't help. I just really like the coolness of the plane overall! I can take a picture but my lameness prevents me from posting said picture!

Gary V.

Thanks Gary. The exhausts I am thinking of actually have 12 outlets instead of 6; using your example each header would have a single exhaust outlet. The 12 stack exhausts were a feature of the P39s ordered by the RAF; in the end some were sent to the Soviet Union and the rest were retained by the USAAF and sent to the pacific.

Sounds like I will either have to make my own 12 stack exhausts or or wait for Special Hobby to come out with one. As far as I can tell, practically the only difference between a P-400 and P-39D is the armament and the exhausts

Dave/Ironman1945

Absolutely correct Dave. The twelve outlet stacks were a very P-400 feature, yet interestingly the RAAF P-39s apparently all had the 12 stack sets yet are all P-39C/Ds.

Apart from that, the armament was a defining feature, the early P-39s having the 37mm cannon while the P-400s had the 20mm weapon similar to the P-38 main weapon.

Cheers

Tony

I'm glad my response made some sense! I bet a resin company addresses the exhaust and armament first!

Gary V.

Absolutely correct Dave. The twelve outlet stacks were a very P-400 feature, yet interestingly the RAAF P-39s apparently all had the 12 stack sets yet are all P-39C/Ds.

Apart from that, the armament was a defining feature, the early P-39s having the 37mm cannon while the P-400s had the 20mm weapon similar to the P-38 main weapon.

Cheers

Tony

Gary,

Picked up 2 of the kits along with the equally as nice X-15. I'm sure that someone will be producing the 12 exhaust stack shortly. I can't see why not. The armament changes should be easy to do. Just need to proper documentation and decals for a P-400.

Mark H.

Hi guys!

I picked up the P-39 and the X-15 for reviews on the site. I'll get the in box reviews posted tomorrow night - I just got in from a long drive back and I'm going to bed! :rolleyes:

-randy

Hi,

Yes I picked one up, but it's for a friend. I picked up the Trumpeter Hellcat from the GMW table, and it looks very nice. I am still on the road from the Nats, but look forward to getting in to this one.

Cheers

Brad

Hi all!

The early Cobra really had its own unique exhausts, 12 stacks per side, as the Allison engine had two exhaust outlets on each cylinder.

How it looks like see on image below.

Later Cobra got the same exhaust stacks as the P-40D/E/K and those are represented in the new P-39 kit.

P-400-2.jpg

The early Cobra really had its own unique exhausts, 12 stacks per side, as the Allison engine had two exhaust outlets on each cylinder.

How it looks like see on image below.

Later Cobra got the same exhaust stacks as the P-40D/E/K and those are represented in the new P-39 kit.

That's an excellent drawing! Thank you, Alexei!

Charles Metz

All I have to say is, FINALLY!

Think about it guys, how many years have we been waiting for an injected molded 1/32 P-39?

How many promises, rumors, false announcements?

Now we have it.

Those of us who remember the P-39 from our youth finally have it.

Those who like modeling planes of the USSR can make the version the Russians liked and used so much.

Those who appreciate America's first major ground win of WW2, the fight for Gualacanal, will like the P-39 becaue it can so easily be converted to the P-400.

All I can say it was a looooooong wait.

Now, about that Val.... :rolleyes:

...The early Cobra really had its own unique exhausts, 12 stacks per side, as the Allison engine had two exhaust outlets on each cylinder...
Just a quibble. The quote above implies, to me anyway, that the Allison V-1710 was special for having two exhaust ports per cylinder. In fact, Packard/Rolls-Royce and Daimler inline water-cooled engines all had the same feature. I don't know about other water-cooled aircraft engines of the era. It was a consequence of getting power from a "low-revving" engine (even though 3,000 rpm was considered pretty danged high for an aircraft engine). Modern OHC 4-valve-per-cylinder automobile engines typically siamese the two exhaust throats into one oblong port for cost reasons.