PCM 1/32 Re. 2005..... tale of an elegant fighter

alaninaustria

Hi Alan,

Truely nice work here. I am a big Spitfire fan too, and hope it looks as good as the 2005. I have a question though with your build. With the shim going all the way towards the wind screen, will the wind screen fit now that you have widened the forward fuselage?

TIA and great work :rolleyes:

Brad

Thanks for the nice words Brad, yes the canopy fits even better now that the shim is in place... however if there is no shim, it also fits nicely too! :rolleyes: Personal choice really! :rolleyes:

If you look cloesly at the wing to fuse joint... it is looking just great! That seam has required almost no work....straight out of the box... whoever tooled this kit up has done a great job on it!

post-10-1186865044.jpg

......and the last one for tonight... :)

Just look at that outline...gotta luv it mates! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

On a different note, does anybody have any good refs for this aircraft?.... I can't really find anything substantial, perhaps because only 30 or so were ever finished? I would like to see the wheel wells, cockpit, and the general weathering from period photos... I have googled and trolled the web, but only managed a few photos! Any help is much appreciated! Cheers

post-10-1186865957.jpg

......and the last one for tonight... :)

Just look at that outline...gotta luv it mates! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

On a different note, does anybody have any good refs for this aircraft?.... I can't really find anything substantial, perhaps because only 30 or so were ever finished? I would like to see the wheel wells, cockpit, and the general weathering from period photos... I have googled and trolled the web, but only managed a few photos! Any help is much appreciated! Cheers

She's looking awesome T Allen. Have you looked on the Italian SIG Stromo for some pictures? This site might help

Troy

On a different note, does anybody have any good refs for this aircraft?.... I can't really find anything substantial, perhaps because only 30 or so were ever finished? I would like to see the wheel wells, cockpit, and the general weathering from period photos... I have googled and trolled the web, but only managed a few photos! Any help is much appreciated!

Alan, my friend,

The best Re.2005 detail references may be:

Alegi: 'RE 2005' (Ali D'Italia series, No. 16; La Bancarella Aeronautica [italy], 2000; in Italian and English; 56 pages) -- AIRCRAFT TYPES INCLUDED: Re.2005; COCKPIT DETAIL: Re.2005 (p. 10, 51, 53, inside back cover); WHEELWELL DETAIL: Re.2005 (p. 12); MISCELLANEOUS DETAIL: Re.2005 canopy (p. 31, 53), cowl (p. 18), engine bay (p. 48, 51), flaps 9p. 54), landing gear (p. 32, 33, 44, 50), radiator (p. 52), ventral bomb rack (p. 49); CUTAWAY DRAWINGS: Re.2005 (p. 46); MULTI-VIEW DRAWINGS: Re.2004 [side view only] (p. 27), Re.2005 (p. 28-30), Re.2006 [side view only] (p. 27); SPECIFIC MARKING PROFILES: Re.2005 (inside front cover, inside back cover)

and:

Di Terlizzi: 'Reggiane RE 2005 Sagittario' (Aviolibri series, No. 4; Instituto Bibliografico Napoleone (IBN Editore) [italy], 1999; in Italian and English; 64 pages) -- AIRCRAFT TYPES INCLUDED: Re.2005; COCKPIT DETAIL: Re.2005 (p. 20, 50, 51); WHEELWELL DETAIL: Re.2005 (p. 24); MISCELLANEOUS DETAIL: Re.2005 canopy (p. 20, 21, 47), engine bay (p. 10, 40, 52, 53), landing gear (p. 4, 22, 24, 25, 41); MULTI-VIEW DRAWINGS: Re.2005 (p. 32, 37, 44, 45); SPECIFIC MARKING PROFILES: Re.2005 (p. 46, back cover).

I'll take a careful look through them later this evening if no one else is able to help you before then. Let me know ,,,

Charles Metz

Thanks Charles, trust you to come up with the best! Thanks, I will have a search!

Cheers!!

Today, I have started with the gun troughs.... started drilling with the smallest drill bit then worked my way right up to the final size of 4.5mm diameter.... took awhile, but it is looking okay... I alyways consider this part of the kit one of the tedious... :rolleyes:

The kit came with the one trough part, and two seperate resin troughs (gun muzzle) like tubes, but I think it is a mess to grind away the plastis and insert them, so I will go with the "Me 109" look in the troughs....

Does anybody know if the Italian made "Breda machine guns" were similar to the German Machine guns that were engine mounted?

Troy, thanks for the tip on the Stormo site, I will go and have a look... every bit of detail helps! Thanks for the help!

post-10-1186925802.jpg

Next I moved over to the air scoop... this is quite the part.. very long (probably to avoid ingesting the exhaust gases and to increase pressure of the incoming ram air)... I decided to pin it to the fuselage. This will add stability and ease construction at a later date!

What you see here are the three holes drilled from the inside to accomodate the air scoop. The pins are mounted to the scoop, for ease of removal... :rolleyes:

post-10-1186926114.jpg