Airfix 1/24th Sea Harrier FA2 Conversion

Chris E

WOW Chris this is an amzing work!!!!!!!!! Fanatastic. Just want to ask you a couple of wuestions.

1. How did you glue the PE parts on the wind screen (did you use CA or PVA)?

2. What paint do you use as primer cause it looks so smooth!!!!!!

and

3. What tools do you use for scribing lines and rivets?

Keep the photos coming my friend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <_<

This thing is going to look so life-like when completed Chris. Congratulations on a brilliant conversion, I look forward to seeing her in her final sea-going rig.

Cheers

Derek

Guys,

Thanks again for the comments and encouragement.

periklis_sale,

The PE canopy frame was attached with CA glue. Now I know that people say that this stuff "crazes" the clear parts but I only applied minute amounts of CA to hold the frame in place. It stuck fine and with no crazing. A bit of Micromesh on the clear parts and all is good.

The primer at the moment is just Tamiya acrylic XF19 sky grey shot through my Iwata brush. This is just a "working" coat so I can see the scribing and rivets better, it will be sanded off later once the surface work is finished.

The scribing and rivets were done with the tools in the pic below. Mainly using an engineers scribe. The other things there are a Tamiya scribing tool, which i use to go over where i scribed with the srciber to get the right depth and to clean the cut out (be very careful with this Tamiya tool as it is very easy to go too deep....as I found out <_< ), the pin vice I use to make the rivets bigger if required. After putting them on with the scriber, just a very light turn with the drill makes a nice even circle.

You can also see my growing collection of home made scribing templates, as well as a couple of bought ones, the Dymo Tape for straight line work and the strips of plastic card for getting the rivets straight.

post-2753-1186651121.jpg

Chris

This is turning out to be very, very nice! I must say, the scribed panels and hatches are so clean and error free :blink: ... I always think when I see a good scribing job: if a guy can scribe and keep it taut, clean and error free... the rest of the job is all down hill! :P

Great stuff!

Cheers

Alan :P

P.s Did you make the scribing templates out of aluminium from a can or are they made from styrene plastic?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!

very nice build!!!

I am really sorry to react late but I wanted to tell you that if you still need some dome rivets, Archer re-sells them as decals. I purchased some of their revamped sets and to reproduce such dome rivets, this is a marvelous product!

Regards

Hey Guys,

Just got a small update to bring the build up to date.

Scribing marathon is complete :) , now detailing the fuselage with various scoops, vents and aerials.....She's starting to come along nicely now B)

Forward fuselage, various bits and bobs

post-2753-1188466531.jpg