P47 cockpit color

phantom

According to the In Detail and Scale book, all Republic built machines were painted Dull Dark Green in the cockpit. The restored/unrestored Thunderbolt pictures back this up. Curtiss built P-47G's used standard interior green, but G models were razorbacks only.

The Hasegawa kit should have the Dull Dark Green cockpit color. Best match for this is Euro I Dark Green available from testors in their Model Master line in enamel and acrylic. Pollyscale and others may carry that color too, but I cannot say for certain if they do.

Hope this helps.

Spaced out.

Dull Dark Green is a pretty good aproximation to the color used on Republic-built Thunderbolt cockpits, but Euro Green is better still.

The actual color used at Republic's Evensville and Farmingdale factories (from the EMM) was equal parts Yellow Zink primer and Black.

:blink:

... and as far as I know, none of the latter was used operationally.

Judging by what I've read, Charles is correct. The G's were only used for Stateside training. Curtiss built Jugs suffered from poor quality control.

Tim

Judging by what I've read, Charles is correct. The G's were only used for Stateside training. Curtiss built Jugs suffered from poor quality control.

Tim

From what I've researched, the thoughts of active duty D's having interior green cockpits comes from the Air Force Museum at Wright-Patterson AFB. They have a P-47G painted as a P-47D with no mention on the placard of the planes real identity.

Cockpit pictures of that plane are interior green.

But, from having seen the cockpit of the unrestored Jug that used to be at the Museum at Robbins AFB, I can attest with my own eyes to the Dull Dark Green color on the interiors of P-47D's built by Republic.

From what I've researched, the thoughts of active duty D's having interior green cockpits comes from the Air Force Museum at Wright-Patterson AFB. They have a P-47G painted as a P-47D with no mention on the placard of the planes real identity.

This plane is indeed a P-47D-15-RA

http://www.warbirdregistry.org/p47registry/p47-4223278.html

and the cockpit color was probably changed at some point during its long civilian career, or some refurbishment job at the Museum.

Laurent

Roy-

FS 34092 is a pretty close match. I had the oppertunity to crawl into the cockpit of the P-47 that was at Robins with a FS 595a and Euro I Dark Green was almost dead on. Except for the markings, the aircraft had been untouched since the AAF parked it in 1946, so I was looking at the original paint. It's possible there may be some slight fading after 60+ years, but I don't think it was enough to worry about.

-Bill

Someone get me a Manufacturer's data plate view of that aircraft. I'll need to see the manufacturers data plate (Curtiss or Republic on the data plate will end all discussion) with the serial number on it before I believe it's a D-15, especially with the long civilian history associated with it. All the sources I have say the airplane at the WPAFM is a Curtiss built G. Now I'm going to check out my sources and see if I can find a MFG Data Plate with legible writing. I'll bet that the stenciled serial on the tail, and the aircraft data plate do not match.

As has been previously said, only Curtiss built P-47G's used interior green. Also, according to my Detail & Scale book on the P-47, P-47G's had no underwing pylons and had no provisions for any armaments. Guess what? The WPAFM jug has none either....coincidence? I don't believe so, even though the pylons were removable.

Tim :blink:

Chris:

The painted serial is 4223278 which is consistent with a P-47D-15 RA. I'm looking for the Mfg. Data plate with the USAAC serial number stamped on it. I'll bet that the painted one and the one on the data plate do not match. If we can get that information to you, I think you'll find that it is indeed a P-47G. I have no idea how we can get a shot of the data plate on that aircraft without someone actually going to WPAFM and climbing in the cockpit and taking a look. (If that's where the data plate is on this aircraft)

For that matter, does the E&M manual state where on these ships the aircraft data plate will be located?

Tim