P-47 first impresions

alaninaustria

I want to be Joshua Chamberlain when I grow up. :lol:

Charles Metz

He's my second cousin. I served with him at Gettysburg and Fredricksburg. Wait..... hang on.... there's two big guys in lab coats at the front door, asking for me.... ;) :lol:

I'm looking forward to the Hase P-47. I'm considering doing an American plane after I get my Komet done, and the new Jug may just fit the bill! I think the Trumpeter releases coming up will be nice too, but they'll be more intensively detailed (read time consuming) and IMO the fit won't be as good. Acceptable yes, but I think the Hase Jug will be the benchmark by which other kits will judged, from all the very positive talk about it, both on this forum and the very few friends of mine who do 32nd planes. I'd love a quick build for a change. Every time I pick up tools to work on something even as simple as my Komet, something happens and I've got to stop! :angry:

I got mine from Gordon at Sprue Brothers tonight and have been going over it for a few hours now. I cut it all away and it taped up quite tamely :lol:

Its a very nice kit, and along the lines of Hase's recent 190 and Hayate kits. Great engineering, excelent fit etc. The only elements stopping the kit to build an M OOB are the late R2800 reduction case and magnetoes, and the only thing stopping the kit from doing a "proper" D-25 is the corrugated floor.

I'll save the rest of my comments for the review, I should be able to get it into Wednesday's update, but you might have to forgive me if the rest of the update is a bit light ;)

Well worth the price, and lightyears ahead of the old revell, and frankly way ahead of the Redux attempt of last year too.

I'll compare the wing and fuse profiles to some "trusted" plans, but the kit looks very accurate. There are a couple of small assembly issues that are a bit confusing, but I'll reserve comment on that until I can get a few more hours with the kit.

A bit premature, perhaps, but could it be possible to use at least some of the Revell Razorback fuselage? I'd think that splitting the fuselage along the major horizontal join line where the full size article was joined, about halfway down the fuselage would make it possible. Personally, I like the later Bubbletop D's the most, but there are those who like the Razorback the best, so I'm looking out for them! :lol:

I got mine last week at AAA Hobby in Atlanta. Very nice kit and right now it's taped up and collecting dust on a shelf as I finish some long overdue projects.

The first build will be of one of the planes that a friend's father flew in the 493rd (see avatar). Although this time I'll do one that didn't have the painted cowl, just the tail color. Maybe later I'll do his last plane that was fully painted in the squadron colors.

If I mess up the open canopy I'll just cut the other one open and use it. Good thing spares are provided.

Waiting for my '47 to show up at the Hobby Shop.... Can't wait.

>Steve, I am currently with Co. A of the 146th NY Volunteer Infantry. It's a Zouave unit from my home >town that saw action at Fredricksburg, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, Wilderness, Spotsylvania, Cold >Harbor, Petersburg, Appomatox Courthouse...Unit mustered out July 1865 in Utica, NY. There aren't many >of us and we're spread all across the Eastern Seaboard but we do exist (at least on paper).

I'm with Company I, 42d Virginia... Maybe I'll see you at New Market! :lol:

TimW

I'm with Company I, 42d Virginia... Maybe I'll see you at New Market!

Damn Rebs! Can't get the bulge on any of em. (homey phrase of the ACW soldier) When's New Market? I only re-enact when it's almost 100 degrees outside and 99% humidity... That way I get the full "heat stroke" effect of the wool uniform. :lol:

Tim

>Damn Rebs! Can't get the bulge on any of em. (homey phrase of the ACW soldier) When's New Market? I only >re-enact when it's almost 100 degrees outside and 99% humidity... That way I get the full "heat stroke" effect >of the wool uniform. laugh.gif

End of this month, weekend of May 19/20. Being more civilized folk, our uniforms are a mix of wool and cotton jeanscloth... :ph34r:

Tim W

PS - I'm hoping to see some nice SEAC markings for this Jug!

PS - I'm hoping to see some nice SEAC markings for this Jug!

I'm sure you will. Someone somewhere will do a set. May even be Ventura decals. Who knows...I may even warm up the ALPS and do a set along with my other P-47 endeavor.

Tim, what are you using to select your quotes? They're not appearing as quoted text but just offset text with < and > signs at either end. I use the little quote box in the reply window (second from right, next to the number box on one side and the picture on the other side) I'm sure there's more than one way to do it, I just don't know them all.

Anyway, I won't be able to attend. My vacation year runs from July 1-June 30 so I won't have any time off until July 1st. Hopefully, I'll be in Gettysburg close to that time. (that's when it's hot and sticky :ph34r: ) My uniform is almost complete, I just need a pair of jambieres to complete my Zouave uniform. I finally got someone who makes them and actually knows what they are with respect to ACW uniforms.

I'm not a campaigner...that' too deep for me. I prefer the family style of re-enacting. It's far more fun albeit somewhat less realistic. When I need to go to the bathroom, I dun wanna use a pit in the ground. I like a nice commode to sit my scrawny but on and take care of business. :lol:

Tim

I'm sure you will. Someone somewhere will do a set. May even be Ventura decals. Who knows...I may even warm up the ALPS and do a set along with my other P-47 endeavor.

Hmm. That's technology I really need to look into.

Tim, what are you using to select your quotes? They're not appearing as quoted text but just offset text with < and > signs at either end. I use the little quote box in the reply window (second from right, next to the number box on one side and the picture on the other side) I'm sure there's more than one way to do it, I just don't know them all.

Sometimes I'm lazy and just cut and paste.

Anyway, I won't be able to attend. My vacation year runs from July 1-June 30 so I won't have any time off until July 1st. Hopefully, I'll be in Gettysburg close to that time. (that's when it's hot and sticky :lol: ) My uniform is almost complete, I just need a pair of jambieres to complete my Zouave uniform. I finally got someone who makes them and actually knows what they are with respect to ACW uniforms.

Always important. As with buying a good model/accessories/decals, a little research goes a long way!

I'm not a campaigner...that' too deep for me. I prefer the family style of re-enacting. It's far more fun albeit somewhat less realistic. When I need to go to the bathroom, I dun wanna use a pit in the ground. I like a nice commode to sit my scrawny but on and take care of business. :lol:

I'm right there with you. I did some "hardcore" stuff when I was younger and thinner, but soon got it out of my system.

TimW

Tim

Bwaha! Had a phone message last night that my '47 has come in to my regular hobby shop.

Now to find time to go pick it up. Guess I know what I'll be doing come the weekend.

Excellent!

TimW

Find the time...you won't be sorry. I'm sittin here (barely) in front of my computer with severe pain in the lower back from the arthritis that is keeping me home from work today. :angry:

Tim

Find the time...you won't be sorry. I'm sittin here (barely) in front of my computer with severe pain in the lower back from the arthritis that is keeping me home from work today.

But if you're at home, you're that much closer to the modelling bench! :lol: Hope you're feeling better.

TimW

Thanks for the well wishes

It's now 2 pm, I've had about seven more hours of rest on the back and I'm feeling much better thank you. I still cannot bend over to tie my shoelaces (and I'm not fat either) because the back muscles associated with the area of the arthritis just won't extend that far today. I build helicopters for a living so I'm, by necessity, in and out, up and down for eight hours or more.... I think I just overdid it yesterday.

I am closer to the workbench but it might as well be miles. I might be able to get down there later on and make an attempt at paint removal from my Hayate. (Oh, the jury is back in with a "strip the paint" verdict.)

Tim

Yay finally got mine from HLK today - am very imressed - accept for the sink marks accross the tops of the wings. These are prob only noticable to pepes like us i think.

The droptanks are cool - esp the pancake style, i will swap my p-51 dragon tanks on to this and put the lightning tanks on my revel razorback , along with my older gunsights and prop from this kit i think!

So releved and so impressed with this kit, im actaull not to upset at the comparison of the vents etc which i scratchbuilt for my razorbck now.

Now i just gotta get my mate dezzy to shows mme how to airbrush. :lol: