Tamiya F-4J (UK)

gunpowder

Thought i would have a break from the Hurricane. Heres my newly painted blackbox cockpit set for my Tamiya Phantom. So far i have removed the raised panels on the Phantom , sorted the intakes by cutting out the trunking and fixing it to the intakes. Cockpit needs a little finishing and then fitting.

phantom1.jpg

phantom2.jpg

phantom3.jpg

Hi!

That looks really great, I am currently detailing the cockpit of Tamiya F4-J so these pictures are very useful <_<

I will also have to try that technique you mentioned with the air intakes, do you have any pictures?

Regards,

Paul

OK here you go. Heres the fuselage with the trunking cut out.

Picture028.jpg

Heres the cutting edge intakes with the trunking attached and filled on the right and finished on the left....

Picture025.jpg

More to come...

Intakes are finally blended in. Just a little scribing to do and some more filling and sanding on the nosecone (flightpath replacement).

Picture049.jpg

Picture050-1.jpg

D'oh guess what i forgot to put on before i installed the intakes!

Picture051.jpg

I will have to put them in from the rear of the fuselage.

It takes guts to cut lumps off, nice work ^_^ This is really inspiring me to knuckle down with my F4-J. Have-you/will-you go to the effort of sanding off all those 'scab' panels that Tamiya put all over the thing? I think they are supposed to be battle-damage repair but apparently thay are a bit too much to be realistic.

Regards,

Paul

Made more progress over the weekend. I added the wingtips at a shallower angle. It looks much better. I also managed to get the Aires exhaust can set from eBay for a real good price. They have made all the difference. They are great. I used Humbrol metalcote polished steel and gunmetal for the exhaust areas. Its all progressing nicely.

phantom4.jpg

phantom5.jpg

phantom6.jpg

phantom7.jpg

phantom8.jpg

The RAF took delivery of 15 Ex USN F-4J's in the '80's , they equiped 74Sq. ,

You're right the RAF F-4M's and K's were Very different beast fromt he standard F-4's , and as yet there's no way to build one , the fact you can build an RAF F-4(J) pretty well from the Tamiya J kit means they are probably the most modelled Phntom version this side of the pond! :)

I've been mulling over one for a long time - but the promised CE F-4B conversion keeps getting int he way!, as for your build Gunpowder - superb - I've never been brave, or skilled enough, to tackle the intakes the way you did - excellent work ! - and yup i've used the Aries Burner sets in the past and they really look impressive when fitted - keep up the good work