Trump 1/32 Mig 17

TwoHands

It's not a really good kit but it's not a basket case either. It needs some help in the form of cockpit, splitter, and a new canopy. The first two are available from Meteor Productions (Cutting Edge) and the latter is available from Squadron (It's the Mig-15 canopy but since they're the same, it'll work) You've gotta work to get a good natural metal finish on it though. The molds were acid etched and leave a pebbly surface on the plastic parts.

Oops, which Mig-17 do you have? The one with the radar or without (one with the radar is the PF and has a lip on the upper intake) the one without looks just like the Mig-15 (cept the wings and a few minor details) Resin tires/wheels are also available.

HTH

TimC

So a NMF will require a overall sanding job but a painted plane would be ok???

Plenty of NVPAF MiG-17s were painted in one form or another:

http://www.geocities.com./alvmaia/Mig/17f/17Fviet3.gif

http://www.geocities.com./alvmaia/Mig/17f/17Fviet4.gif

Osprey has a number of good sources for NVPAF schemes as well.

Tim W.

Depends on which bird you want. As the radar bird it is not so bad. Windscreen is correct and the radar fills up the nose. There is an intake on the right side of the nose to be added. As a fighter, it has been covered above. Now universal issues.... The kit has no afterburner can, the aft section below the tail is mis-shaped, there is no ventral strake in the kit. The connection points on the ailerons are not right. All this being said it is really not to bad, not to mention the only game in town besides a vacuform. After market stuff addresses the interior, splitter, and wheels, The strake can be made out of sheet, and the burner can be made from a 72nd F4b well it looks kind of close. I have seen it doneand it was great looking when finished.

S!

All the comments raised are quite correct. I'm not sure if it was mentioned, but the wing pylon fuel tanks have to be moved inboard a bunch. I should also note that a resin ventral strake is (was?) available as I have one. Unfortunately, I don't recall the source. PWMP I think. I should also note that Eduard offers an etch set that includes the burner can. Last but not least, Eagle Strike Productions offers decal sheet 32020 which has a Polish Mig-17 (actually a Lim-6) in a camo scheme which I have well on the way to completion. On the down side, in addition to all the previous corrections raised by others, you will have to add a drag chute housing, move the radar altimiter antennas from the wings onto the fuselage, add a small teardrop housing on the belly and two wing pylons and rocket pods. As an option, a camera housing could be added to the belly. I passed on the latter as I couldn't find suitable drawings.

Check out the IN PROCESS section of this website and almost at the very beginning of that section, or should I say nearly at the end of the section when it first started. I started on the MiG 15 before anyone new about Trumpeter and the 15 and the 17 were their first releases. The 15 is a almost exactly a scaled up version of Tamiya's 1/48 kit. Never got around to finishing the 15 but there's a good write up I did for the most part of what I did.

Mark H.