"Dai Banana!"- Pacific Coast Models Macchi 202 Folgore

bdthoresen

The final parts count to install is as follows.....I have to install the venturi in front of the radiator on the belly, the pitot mast on the left wing, the ring and bead sights on the nose, the aerial antenna on the fuselage spine, and paint the wingtip lights. Lastly, I will permanently cement the canopy into the open position....(I made up my mind!)

As always, comments and critiques welcome. Thanks for following along. The next photo update will be in the Ready for Inspection forum!

Thor, chuffed! :party0023:

DSC02635.jpg

Sheesh, thanks fellas for all of the replies!

THX for that. I have one Macci from PCM in my stash also...

It is a tough kit, I must admit. BUT- Extrememly rewarding to be at this point with her! Thanks for checking in....

A welcome return Thor...

And good to see you pushing through with her. Even made me get out my stalled Macchi build today...

Looks great!

Steve.

Good on ya Steve! Looking forward to seeing what you do with her!!!! Thanks for stopping in....

It looks great Thor! Can't wait to see this one finally finish up! It's been a great ride, and one I've really enjoyed following. I really think you did an amazing job on the camo scheme, can't wait to see how it all comes out with the weathering.

Matt :party0023:

Thanks much Matt! I love what you have been up to with the Hunter T.7 thread....I would love to build one someday, but, not right now....I appreciate your comments. Thanks a lot!

Thor

Re-done chipping and weather looks so much better: Used but not Abused. Panel lines and details really pop and look terific. :thumbsup:

Peter

:popcorn:

Thanks Peter. I had not weathered a model in ages, and tended to go the route of heavy handed at first. But it would appear that the Macchis were fairly well cared for in this group. So I toned it back......Love your work on the MDC pit of your P-47. Please keep the updates on that coming! Thanks for stopping in!!!

Thor,

That's one beautiful Macchi my friend. She was a long time coming but well worth the wait.Excellent paint scheme too.

Regards,

Gregory Jouette

Ah Gregory, nice to see you are still lurking. I hope all is well with you my friend. Thanks for the compliments, and more importantly, following from the beginning....You, sir, are the man!!!! Thanks Spads!!!!

Bravo Thor! I bet you thought you'd never see this moment.

Looking forward to the final photos.

Kev

And another one of my most avid supporters! Thanks a million Kev, I appreciate the support. Loved the 262 build by the way...Top notch stuff!

I am glad to be at this point, it has been alost five years coming.......crikey!!! I am the slowest builder ever!!!!! :BANGHEAD2:

Appreciate it all- More to follow in a day or two..Thanks Again-

THOR, :ninja:

Sheesh, thanks fellas for all of the replies!

Thanks much Matt! I love what you have been up to with the Hunter T.7 thread....I would love to build one someday, but, not right now....I appreciate your comments. Thanks a lot!

THOR, :ninja:

Thanks very much Thor. I've been enjoying the Hunter build, should get some more painting, and maybe get it all finished within the next week, once the 4th of July is over. I've been working a fireworks booth for my college marching band, so I've been very busy lately. I'm very surprised at how big the Hunter is, I was expecting a smaller plane I guess. Still going to try and get the gear done for G-Factor, since the T.7 is pretty heavy.

Either way, the Macchi looks amazing. I might have to do that kit at some point, I always like the PCM kits, and Italian planes in general. So under-represented in model form.

Thanks very much Thor. I've been enjoying the Hunter build, should get some more painting, and maybe get it all finished within the next week, once the 4th of July is over. I've been working a fireworks booth for my college marching band, so I've been very busy lately. I'm very surprised at how big the Hunter is, I was expecting a smaller plane I guess. Still going to try and get the gear done for G-Factor, since the T.7 is pretty heavy.

Either way, the Macchi looks amazing. I might have to do that kit at some point, I always like the PCM kits, and Italian planes in general. So under-represented in model form.

You know, the interesting thing is, I really dig what PCM, being a bit of a little fish in the model world, has been trying to acheive. I have the Spitfire Mk.IX and the Hurricane Mk.I, and, I must say I believe that they have come a long way as far as fit, finish and presentation of their kits. I think the instructions have improved, and the overall product is better. I love the Italian planes, and also like that they stepped out a bit to produce some things that were unexpected. Kind of reminded me of Classic Airframes when I used to build 1/48th scale stuff....Always taking on the things that Tamigawa never would.....I like that.....

That being said, the 202 kit has been one of the most difficult kits I have ever built. Being an early release, there were some things that were done that just were a pain in the tailfeathers just to get the most mileage out of the molds.....I understand that from a business perspective, from from a builder's perspective it turned out to be an absolute nightmare!!! I am sure I could do much better if I tried another one, but I just do not have it in me at this time....I do not want to be stuck on a model for another 5 years!!!! :BANGHEAD2:

But that is not to say I will not be building another PCM kit....Far from it...I will be taking on their Spitfire and Hurricane soon. Looking forward to them.........

Anyway- Thanks for the compliments. I look forward to the next installment on the Hunter....Take Care-

THOR

Edited by bdthoresen

Hey Thor,

Beautiful. Glad to see that you are finally near putting this one to rest ;-) What a long road eh?

Mark in Milwaukee, where it is at long last warming up

Thor

Beautiful work.

Thank you for the kind words regarding my Jug front Office.

Peter

You're welcome Peter, keep on it, eh?

Great to see this one coming along again!! It's looking fantastic, too! :speak_cool:

Thanks a lot Dave. I appreciate the comments.....

Hey Thor,

Beautiful. Glad to see that you are finally near putting this one to rest ;-) What a long road eh?

Mark in Milwaukee, where it is at long last warming up

Hey Mark! Good to hear from you! Glad to hear it is finally warming up in Milwaukee!!! It has been a long road, but most of it by my own creation. I tend to wander on projects, as this was the case here. I probably have about 6 solid months of actual build time, as opposed to 4 1/2 years....I will do some things differently on the next one for sure...Especially in keeping things organized!!!

Anyway, thanks for the compliments. I do appreciate them........

THOR, finishing her up.....

Wow Thor,you really put the Hammer to this one!! Looks great. I have always loved that Italian cammo.

J

Thanks Jerry- Coming from you that means a lot! I sure do appreciate it....

Well Gents, I am happy to report that the 202 is finished. I am setting up the camera now to take the final photos...All I can say is thanks for the unwavering support, and I sure am glad to have her finished.....All I can say is......YEAH, BABY!!!!! :party0023:

Final photos shortly...

THOR :ninja:

• 4 weeks later...

And a shot of the nose to show how the previously harsh weathering has now been blended down....very subtle.....

DSC02633.jpg

Hi,

very, very nice model.

Just a little remark, for the next Italian bird, if any: the fuselage color fasces must always point forward, as seen here

italian_1943-vi.jpg

Cheers

Alberto