BV 155 V1

mattlow

You are welcome matt glad l can help. Like my good friend Radub l have a passing fancy for the beast myself and was going to add the 1/72 version to my messerschmitt 109 collection. It started out in life as an Me 155 and like l said Bolhm and Voss took over the project

hacker :o :P

Hi Matt!

Excellent work there on a cool plane that I have never seen before.BTW, What are those bulges at mid- span for? I am looking forward to more progress shots of your model!

Here is a site with some actual BV schematics for youer model- HTH!

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Village...2/bv155-drw.htm

Best Wishes,

Lee

Thanks Hacker

This is my major source of info, along with the website several of you pointed me towards. There is a real dearth of material on this plane (even though there's most of one sitting in a shed at Silver Hill).

Progress on the Karawanken (this is the name given to the plane - named after a mountain range) is slow, but I hope to get some decent progress made next week.

Matt Low

Sorry for poor quality pics......

post-528-1150927257.jpg

Its been grey primered which has brought out the numerous (and expected) imperfections.

Next stage is to permenantly attach the balsa sections (they're held in with PVA at the moment). Anyone got suggestion for a glue that'll bond balsa to plastic? Once I've done that I need to fill gaps, dings etc.. Anyone know of a filler that'll bond to plastic and wood?

Cheers

Matt Low

What a cool subject Matt! I'd never heard of this a/c before, but now I'll be following your progress very closely. Really good work thus far mate. Your carving and shaping is going great guns

Keep the pics coming!

Cheers

Ango.

Matt-

Looking Great so far. I like the balsa technique myself, so I thought I would chime in with a suggestion....First I would use five minute epoxy to permanently attach the balsa sections between the stringers. This will allow you to handle the model without fear of a section popping out later in the game. Second, as an overall filler, I have had good luck with any sort of lacquer-based spot filler- Usually can get a tube of the stuff for about $7.00 U.S, and it will last you awhile. Sticks great to plastic because of the lacquer base, but also sticks well to wood due to the tooth of the wood grain. I have also used Bondo filler with good effect, although it does take a bit more effort to sand. The Bondo does not chip as much while scribing, so you may want to consider that. The lacqer stuff I use is made by 3M, called Acryl-Blue. Love the stuff. After filling with it, you can shoot a few heavy coats of primer down, and after it has cured a week, wet-sand it with 600-1000 grit. Again, this takes awhile, but the final finish of the parts will be great- Scribe with an extremely sharp scribing tool. Been doing parts this way for quite awhile. Hope this helps.....

THOR :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I said I'd be making it up as I went along.

Thanks to Radu's suggestion (see his earlier post to this thread), I am now a complete convert to PVC foamboard. I've found a local signmakers who'll supply me with all I need for next to no cost (their offcuts are pretty large).

I'm so impressed with the stuff that I'm going to remove the balsa and go for this stuff - no need to plate the thing with plasticard. If you've never used it - give it a go its excellent - thank you Radu for putting me onto it.

Hopefully I'll have some pics of the 155 with its new 'clothes' in a couple of days.

Matt

OK folks

The 155 has taken one step backwards but is nearing a full step back forwards again :) ! All the balsa has been removed and replaced with the aforementioned PVC foamboard. It is like a cross between balsa and plasticard to work with - so its taking longer to shape than the balsa version.

post-528-1152047798.jpg

The stuff comes in 3, 5 and 10mm thicknesses and I've used a combination laminated to build up the fuselage. Start off carving and then heavy duty sandpaper (80 grit aluminium oxide).

The beauty of this stuff is that it sands down to a pretty fine finish and I reckon it'll take scribing and rivets - I really wasn't looking forward to plating the thing with thin plasticard or aluminium. Shot below shows an intermediate level of finish - way to go yet, but you get the idea.

post-528-1152048168.jpg

The cockpit area is currently a large hole. The idea here is to build up the sides and upper forward decking (with the cutout for the huge telescopic sight) of the fuselage then drop the cockpit in through the top, then attach the grey part visible (taped in position) below.

post-528-1152048609.jpg

If anyone can see a 'schoolboy error' in the making here, please speak up.

Finally, I've roughed out the wing centre section and a 'lump' of foamboard that will be carved into one of the wing mounted radiator/wheel well housings. The actual radiator sits below this 'lump' and makes the whole plane look like the wings would snap off under the weight!

post-528-1152049101.jpg

Rudder is also visible in this pic, again currently a chunk of PVC. The spinner is from Hasegawa 109 which will need a little re-profiling to make it more pointy. I'll need to use two spinners cut in half and joined to alow me to fit the four prop blades.

To my relief I also found out that the wheels/tires of this bird are taken from the Me 262, so I'll need to get hold of a pair of Rutman ones with the smooth tread.

Cheers

Matt