He-162 Salamander

PietvWdV

Piet,

Looking mighty good there fella. I look forward to your finishing posts. Thus far, your build has been an education in scratch building and detailing. Just a super job. I look forward to more...

Be well,

Geoff

• 3 weeks later...

Thanx for the words guys!

I thought I'd post a little update. Work on the kit has slowed to a tinker, but she is progressing non the less. Had to do a lot of sequential stuff which always tests one.

The instrument panel and cover is in, and only awaits Matty's Revi 16 B)

Here is a mock fit of the main canopy. I am currently constructing the canopy locking mechanism (I sanded off the molded on part on the kit part.

The section of white frame is actually a section of white plasticard that I used to replace a section of canopy frame I sanded off when I was drunk. The canopy was prepped as I explained in the canopies thread over in the tips forum. Only diffs really is that I drilled out the access hatch and posed it open. Perhaps not overly realistic, but high scoring in the coolness ratings :)

post-906-1153699907.jpg

A shot of the canopy on it's own, which might better illustrate the madness ;)

ok great job on that mate

but how did you make the little round window inside the canopy? :lol:

greetz STB

Frederick Jacobs

man, piet, this opening in the canopy looks fantastic! just in case you dont know and still want to change it. the he 162 didnt have a frame on the outside of the canopy. the canopy was just plexi glass screwed to a frame made of round profiles. the "frame" was only painted on.

if you want, to still reproduce that, just sand down the frame and paint it on later.

cheers klaus

ps: lovely work on the insturment panel as well, my friend. you really got 100% out or that kit, i think.

man, piet, this opening in the canopy looks fantastic! just in case you dont know and still want to change it. the he 162 didnt have a frame on the outside of the canopy. the canopy was just plexi glass screwed to a frame made of round profiles. the "frame" was only painted on.

if you want, to still reproduce that, just sand down the frame and paint it on later.

cheers klaus

ps: lovely work on the insturment panel as well, my friend. you really got 100% out or that kit, i think.

Thanx Guys.

Klaus, I did not know that about the canopy frame! Thanx for that. I will skip it with this kit, but the next will have to be a Vac with a frame built in.

but how did you make the little round window inside the canopy?

Fred, I explained the most of it on the "Tips" forum, under the canopy thread. But this hole I drilled out, to the size of the nearest Punch size I had. Then I punched the little window from a sheet of clear plastic, and glued it in with future , with a little arm to strenthen it .

Finished the home-made canopy locking thing. I invented my own, since I did not have a really clear shot of one, and was too lazy to ask :D

Here it is posed. I am now only waiting for the Revi 16 to arrive, then I will attach the canopy and proceed to painting!

post-906-1154119314.jpg

Looks kickass my friend

but as always I have some q's B)

What type of plastic do you guysuse to make those vac formed canopy's and where to get that stuff in europe?

alos I read your how to article and it got me wondering how come the glue doesn't affect the canopy after you rough sanded it I thought you couldn't use the normal glue on clear parts? :D

greetz STB

Frederick Jacobs