Opinions & suggestions wanted

LSP_Ron

"In my opinion RLM 70 needs to be much darker and RLM 71 needs to be much more green and a grassy green".

Hi Ron, I strongly 2nd your opinion about the paint being wrong being wrong to the eye. However, I do think the paint job is a passable effort that many model builders would be proud of showing to others.

I know you said your not looking for an exact match. I up loaded this image I took today to give a 3rd to your opinion the paint you've been using is wrong. This is from page 113 The Official Monogram Painting Guide to German Aircraft 1935 - 1945, By Merrick & Hitchcock, Copyright © 1980 by Monogram Aviation Publications. To illustrate the darkness 1:1 of scale RLM 70 & RLM 71. To my Mark I eyeball RLM 70 is a shade of black with primary green added and RLM 71 is the same color blended hue of a tertiary green, in your words, "green... a grassy green".

5886350816_a9b52ce516_b.jpg

Taken in sunlight. Indoors these color chips closely match Marshall Digital's colors (below).

For one of the best digital color sources google the one below:

5886591242_06b1a82cb1_b.jpg

Ron, I took your image and lowered the gamma and increased the contrast a bit to better study the 110's paint job (the Test Bar added to aid LSP members in adjusting Monitor gamma/contrast levels).

I downloaded Testors goofy color drops and using a Color Tool took a RGB sample and made the square left of center, then shaded it black to make the square right of center. The far right square is a sample of RLM 70 from W.S. Marshall's Digital Colors. To my eye, more black needs to be added to the my digital Testor's RLM 70 to get a close match to Marshall's Digital RLM 70.

5886806184_d4fa9490ca_b.jpg

Starting with Testor's color drop, I repeated the the RGB square left of center and shaded it with black and the shaded it black to make the square right of center. The square to the far right is from W.S. Marshall's Digital Colors. In this case to my eye, a bit to much black was added to the square right of center for a digital match to RLM 71. A closer match Marshall's Digital RLM 71 would be to tint my digital RLM with white to correct the excess of black.

Ron, looking at the photo of your Me 110 posted with my reply to your topic, the Testor's paint you have been using can be easily replicated by simply adding black until what you see pleases that Mark I eyeball of yours. My thesis is Testor's puts the correct "hue"/ (pure color) for RLM 70 & RLM 71 in their little 1/2 oz bottles (with at certain level of black pigment). I will have to check the MSDS sheet of Testor's black to see if the pigment used in it gives cancer to California lab rats. In the back of my mind, I bet Testor's has legal liability concerns and are just simply following their lawyers guide lines about keeping customers exposure to toxic stuff low.

Since you have those bottles of Testor's MMII paint, you may as well experiment will adding black to shade them darker and white to tint them lighter...

Graphics on this reply made using PhotoFiltre 6.5.2 (free software) - Danny

Hi Ron

LSP's own Guttorm (ju88a1) has, with the collaboration of Revell Germany, produced enamels matched to samples on the Ju 88 in his museum.

".....revell has a perfect match from the original paint colours that are what the specifications says..also made with help from our museum and its matches 100 % our best paint samples."*

The Revell codes are:

No. 39 Dark Green 71 - This 71 has a greener cast that appeared on Ju 88's and He 111's.

No. 40 Black Green 70

No. 49 Light Blue 65

These paints are matt finish and spray beautifully.

Standard disclaimer.

Best Regards,

D.B.

* Personal communication with Guttorm

Hi Ron

LSP's own Guttorm (ju88a1) has, with the collaboration of Revell Germany, produced enamels matched to samples on the Ju 88 in his museum.

".....revell has a perfect match from the original paint colours that are what the specifications says..also made with help from our museum and its matches 100 % our best paint samples."*

The Revell codes are:

No. 39 Dark Green 71 - This 71 has a greener cast that appeared on Ju 88's and He 111's.

No. 40 Black Green 70

No. 49 Light Blue 65

These paints are matt finish and spray beautifully.

Standard disclaimer.

Best Regards,

D.B.

* Personal communication with Guttorm

Nice to know - thanks mate!