Trumpeter Mig 3

Hacker

As l have stated l got this kit for christmas and like all of you once you get a new kit its hard to fight the urge to build it. Now there are several errors in the kit. Cockpit for one and wheel wells are another but generally the kit is accurate. We start off with the cockpit

post-542-1198890654.jpg

The cockpit interior is very similar to hawkers hurricane cockpit. Though sparse in nature its mainly of tubular framing much of which is missing and there is parcular inner wall trumpeter included that not even suppose to be there.

post-542-1198890691.jpg

The floor is dead wrong as according to pictures l have of restored aircraft the center section is right but the rest around it is not suppose to be there in fact the there is no floor under the seat. The details of the seat and the seat itself is correct the how it is mounted to the plane is not

post-542-1198890999.jpg

here is a shot of the floor and framing. The framing l feel is too thin and light and needs beefing up

post-542-1198891644.jpg

While l was at it l chopped up the wings. Now what is that crazy bugger up to now. Ah thats for me to know and for you to find out eventually. All l can say is that l am not exposing the engine this time. l am going to do something with it in my unquie way but l decided to leave the engine out of this one.

Thats all for now later

You got an engine with the kit? :P

No engine comes with this kit. l was going to scratch build one but then l got looking at it and decided not to and just keep this one simple other then correcting the cockpit

No engine comes with this kit. l was going to scratch build one but then l got looking at it and decided not to and just keep this one simple other then correcting the cockpit

So far, so good! Looks like you're well on the way to a nice looking aircraft.

Some good stuff on MiG-3 fixes here. I have the Eduard brass set, which also corrects some of the more egregious errors.

http://vvs.hobbyvista.com/Modeling/MiG/MiG.../Vill/index.php

Enjoy!

Tim W.

thanks Tim for the Url and the info. l also got pictures of a restoration build. Though the interior blue is correct for today but it was not introduced until after the war from what l gather. During recovers and restorations they are finding that the interior colours where a mismash of colours. Yes there is a basic colour of grey in most of the interiors but it seems other colour were used. From the photos l seen of one being restored it seems that the floor was more like a hurricane floor being very open. The wheel wells are all wrong as well from what l can see. l will do more checking on things as l proceed.

Hack-

Be careful on the restored airframes!!!!! If you are using photos of the aircraft at Monino Air Museum- stop now! It is not a real Mig 3, but a half-arsed copy! Nothing real about it. Also- food for thought- I find that the Model Master Intermediate Blue is a great match for a few versions of the Blue-Grey Aerolak that they used on the interiors of the Mig 3 run- But being that there are so many variations that varied factory to factory- nobody can tell you you're wrong if you are in the neighborhood- Good Luck!!!!

THOR :lol:

Perhap's a "navalized" folding wing Mig 3..? :)

Carry(er) on mcDuff..

ggc

Mig-1/3 was manufactured only for a bit longer then one year, from December 1940 to February 1942 and the Soviet Union didn't have any naval carriers at that time. But detachable wings were one of the technical requirements (by Government committee) for transportation of the planes by rail road.

Though sparse in nature its mainly of tubular framing much of which is missing and there is parcular inner wall trumpeter included that not even suppose to be there.

Just wondering what is wrong with tubular framing? I checked it against technical drawings that I could find over Internet and it seems fine to me - required just minor changes.

For inner walls, there is nice Eduard photo etched set for MiG-3 that includes this walls as well as correct floor.

The details of the seat and the seat itself is correct the how it is mounted to the plane is not

The seat doesn't have a flange on the top of it and bullet proof back (9 mm thick armor plate) wasn't mounted or touched to it. Pilot seat is just aluminum bath made by press...