Trumpeter F4U-1D Replacement Cowling

ChrisS

The Issue:

The Trumpeter cowling is too small in diameter. The walls of the cowling part are just about perfectly parallel, however the walls of the F4U cowling are not parallel at all, instead they slightly and gradually "reduce" as they near the lip. The Revell cowling captures this shape, and happens to share the same diameter of the Trumpeter fuselage at the cowling join. A match made in heaven I believe.

The Job:

Use the revell cowling to create a master pattern for a corrected cowling part for the Trumpeter kit.

The Proof:

Here are some pictures that hopefully convey the issue(s):

The Trump cowling matched up with the Trump fuselage. Note the mis-match along the bottom edge.

post-1-1272514639.jpg

And here is the Revell cowling matched up. Note the size difference and how much better it's shape "fits" against the fuselage bottom.

post-1-1272514654.jpg

Here is another way to look at the size issue. First the Trump cowling, then the Trump fuselage, then the Revell cowling all measured in the same circle pattern.

post-1-1272514709.jpg

post-1-1272514738.jpg

post-1-1272514661.jpg

...pretty bad eh?

...and so we begin...

Here is the Revell cowling getting the cooling flaps removed.

post-1-1272514689.jpg

...and cleaned...and leveled...

post-1-1272514678.jpg

post-1-1272514683.jpg

Now the two parts measured for depth:

post-1-1272514715.jpg

post-1-1272514670.jpg

And the removal of the mating guide from the Trump part.

post-1-1272514726.jpg

Cleaning the mating guide.

post-1-1272514743.jpg

I'll try to turn this master around fairly quickly, so stay tuned.

Thanks for posting this Chris. We've had a lot of talk about scratch-building here lately, and it's great to see a small example of it in action. I know you're really just modifying an existing kit part, but it's great to watch, and there's plenty of opportunity to learn. And, your work so far is great!

Kev

:frantic:

Great work Chris. When you are done, and as many of us have said that we want your replacement cowl, where would we purchase this masterful creation. Yes, Iam buttering you up, but it is great work plus an inspiration to use all. Will you be selling this directly? Like I said before I can use four.

Awesome!! We can get a scratch-building class AND a class on making masters for resin.. SWEET!!! Gonna be watching this one.. and there's a ton of us waiting on this so we can get back to work on our Corsairs! Personally, i think you should go ahead and get a pre-order going so you'll know how many 50 gal. drums of resin you need to buy! You can put me down for 2, as i'm sure i'll bugger at least one up. Are you planning on re-making the cooling flaps as well, or are you going to just make it to accept the kit part or the aftermarket one (didn't someone cast the flaps already?) I know several of us really appreciate you taking this challenge on!

Jerry

I have a casting "partner" in the wings, and our current plan is to sell them through either LSP, or the caster's outlet. At this point the idea is to run a batch of 25 or so and see if they sell out, if they do we can run another batch.

As I get closer to the master being done we'll firm up retail plans...I haven't even brought this up to the LSP staff yet...wait...I think I just did :frantic:

So no matter what, at least 25 of these puppies will be available, if I don't "klondge" the master that is!

As far as the flaps go; I am not planning on making a set of flaps. Master Casters cowl flaps are useable, and the master patern for them is superb. I'll investigate using the Trump kit flaps over my part later in the thread here when I get closer to casting prep.

Also, if anyone would like to send me some referances for the cowling surface detail, that would be helpfull. Internal detail would also be useful.

Thanks!

Brilliant start Chris :thumbsup: I agree with you 100% about the overall accuracy of the Revell cowling in comparison to the Trumpeter offering. It looks like it will be an excellent product when complete - I shall watch with great interest.

Best regards

Derek

I know that a lot of guys are waiting for this one buddy! Good work,

J

If your master is a success i think you will be inundated with orders, I for one need two, they are the only after market goodies that you can't get for the trumpeter F4U-1, Master casters cowl ring is a gem but made to fit the kit part so also too small in diameter, cut and stretch maybe. Now maybe I can use that Aires engine I built that wont fit in the kit cowl.

Nice work gk

The Trump guide is fitted on the revell cowling, lots of CA and "kicker" applied.

post-1-1272747882.jpg

post-1-1272747890.jpg

Hard to believe something so ugly will serve any good in this world. Indeed, we shall see.

Here is the part test-fitted

post-1-1272747944.jpg

Next up is a bit more test fitting for any small tweaks to the mating guide, cleaning the join, then final shaping and polish.

Found your thread, Chris!!!

Photos will be headed your way soon, but let me just say these are going to help!:

d2a9d09937f4f0b54324e43460c67dce.jpg

A verbal description would be that Trumpeter's detailing isn't far off, but still not correct. Each access panel joint has a raised metal strip across the horiz. joint, with large screwheads down each edge. The metal strip flares around wider-spaced screws at each end. Plus screwheads along all the other 'vertical' panel joints.

The search is on for the inside of the cowl. Haven't found any pics of those yet.