A rarity....Marui 1/36 Fuji Aero Subaru - I'm excited!

That's a shame, Damo, but you might be able to get away with giving it another coat of the Vallejo blue. Acrylic paints differ wildly in their formulations, and are almost never guaranteed to be compatible, but putting one type down over another should be fine as long as the first coat is fully cured. And that's the thing about the Gunze aqueous paints - they touch-dry quite quickly, but can take a week or more to fully cure, and are vulnerable to this sort of thing until they do. My guess is that the Gunze layer was still curing when the Vallejo paint went down, and this has at least contributed to the problem.

The other possible cause is simply putting down a very flat (matt) paint over a gloss one. I have no idea why, but I've had all kinds of problems with this combination in the past, including something that looks similar to yours. For me, it was always Tamiya flat over Gunze gloss or semi-gloss that caused the problem, and adding a couple of drops of clear gloss to the Tamiya paint usually prevents it.

I hope you can get it sorted, mate!

Kev

Apart from some minor touch-ups, she's ready for a coat of semi-gloss.  I went with the two-tone blue when I repainted, because it looks a little more subdued than the blue/white.  I also very slightly dry-brushed the carpet with the light blue, which I reckon makes it pop :)

IMG_4041_zpsmy1w8zbp.jpg

IMG_4044_zpszrzhodwv.jpg

Edited by Cap'n Wannabe

Thanks Kev..

Now, I'm after some opinions.  This is a pic of the IP.  I've tried to paint something to represent the instrument faces, but I'm sure if I'm happy with the result.

2d2bdd68-f285-4868-91b0-320f6285f163_zps

It looks ok, but not great.  So....should I leave it as is, or make my own decals?  I'm kind of half and half.  As I've said previously, the IP is far from accurate - the instrument layout is completely fanciful, but I can live with that - I'd just have to decide where to put everything.  Making my own decals is pretty straightforward, but time consuming, and I'd have to put them on a sheet with other stuff to make it worthwhile.  On the other hand, I'm going to be making my own decals anyhow, for the registration and a couple of other markings....decisions, decisions!  Help me out, fellas!

Edited by Cap'n Wannabe

Check this out....a pretty plain panel of the aircraft in question.....

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Wings-over-Holland/Fuji-FA-200-180-Aero-Subaru/653824

Looks like the kit is close in general layout, missing a few instruments on each side of the panel......

Like the progress so far......

THOR    :ninja:

Check this out....a pretty plain panel of the aircraft in question.....

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Wings-over-Holland/Fuji-FA-200-180-Aero-Subaru/653824

Looks like the kit is close in general layout, missing a few instruments on each side of the panel......

Like the progress so far......

THOR    :ninja:

Thanks for the photo, Thor!

Semi-gloss coated earlier today, buuuuuut I think the seats are still too shiny.  Also, the clear coat attacked the paint a little, especially on the rear seats.  No matter - I can cover that with seatbelts.  Anyhow, I think a flat coat is in order here, so I'll be doing that tomorrow.

6bcbc793-8a70-4318-8bcf-aee4e4f63ff9_zps

After some discussions, I've pretty much decided to go with the decal option, so I needed to strip the IP and start over....doing that a lot, lately..

Anyhow, I did my usual trick of spraing BBQ cleaner over the paint, then scrubbing it with a toothbrush.  Ordinarily, it'd get rid of all the paint very quickly, but for whatever reason, this paint was stubborn.  And this is the result:

e6bef789-9c76-4ae2-b749-3ed7b71460f8_zps

Now I dunno about you fellas, but I reckon that looks pretty good as a well-worn IP.  All it needs now is some decals for the instrument faces and I'm away!

After some discussions, I've pretty much decided to go with the decal option, so I needed to strip the IP and start over....doing that a lot, lately..

Anyhow, I did my usual trick of spraing BBQ cleaner over the paint, then scrubbing it with a toothbrush.  Ordinarily, it'd get rid of all the paint very quickly, but for whatever reason, this paint was stubborn.  And this is the result:

e6bef789-9c76-4ae2-b749-3ed7b71460f8_zps

Now I dunno about you fellas, but I reckon that looks pretty good as a well-worn IP.  All it needs now is some decals for the instrument faces and I'm away!

I love it when a happy accident occurs, the secret is to recognise it as you've done and do no more. That there is a wonderful finish!

Torben

I love it when a happy accident occurs, the secret is to recognise it as you've done and do no more. That there is a wonderful finish!

Torben

Yep, I'm done touching this, apart from the instruments. The trick is now to get the reast of the cockpit finish to match!

• 3 months later...
No pics at the moment, but I've finally arisen off my arse and put some decals on....only did the big instruments, when it dawned on me that they still couldn't really be seen by the naked eye.  So I put some Future over the decals, and the smaller instruments, and now it's ready to go in.

Once I've done the seatbelts, of course!