F-105D early and late difrences?

mark31

Hello to u all.

Im doing some resaerch on one of the kits in my stash.

I know so far that the trumpeter kit is a late D model.

But what are the big difrences between those 2?

I have read somewhere that the air intakes are a bit difrent and the spine?

Are this big difrences are can i let it like it is?

Many thanks.

Mark

Hi Mark,

That is an interesting question. Other than the prototypes having a "straight" intake, I thought that the "M" style intake remained the same thru the whole production run.

The aft air intakes, which cool the afterburner, did change. Early planes had NACA ducts, while later, Vietnam era planes had enlarged intakes. Maybe that is what you read about?

Edited by Lee White

Mark. the very late F-105D's after the vietnam war were modified with an enlarged spine to house more electronics and most went to a wrap around paint scheme. The air intakes never changed. What you have in the trumpeter box will be fine for a Vietnam bird. I do think you have to remove a couple of stiffner plates as these were not on the Vietnam birds. I will check and come back to you.

Edited by Ken Stetzenko

With regards to the spine, early 105s had a flat area between the aft "point" of the spine, and the base of the fin. Combat experience showed Republic that it was important to re-route some systems from the bottom of the plane to the top, and thus a 1/2 "pipe" shaped cover was used over the new system location. That is on the Trump kit, and most others. I can only point to the hump on later A-4's as something similar. The F-105 at the Wings over the Rockies Museum is supposedly the only Thud that never received this modification.

AFAIK, the enlarged spine was only a feature if the very few Thunderstick II conversions., not an early/ late feature. I don't think the D intakes were ever changed. For me the early/late features are things like the strike camera under the nose, ECM bumps on the tail, and the afterburner cooling scoops on the side of the rear fuselage.

Regarding the spine, I think the small narrow spine running to the tail wasn't originally on early Thuds. I think it was added during the war and covered lines for a backup hydraulic system.

Edited by Dave Williams

To do a NM/ Silver painted F-105 D......you will have a little work ahead...It kind of comes down to aircraft.

1 The spine has to be removed, and vertical smoothed into the fuselage

2 "Aircraft dependent" the RWR and strike camera have to go

3 The reinforcement plates under the wings should be removed

4. Step 3 forces a fill on the wing pylons to make them flush

5 The reinforcement plates/ ram air scoops on the rear of the fuselage should be removed for "most" aircraft. I have seen a couple of pics of silver birds with the ram air (look close)

Then there are the "fixes" to make the kit closer to an F-105....those are all well documented

look here this guy captured most of the changes

http://www.largescaleplanes.com/articles/article.php?aid=1568

Edited by Rob Colvin

To do a NM/ Silver painted F-105 D......you will have a little work ahead...It kind of comes down to aircraft.

1 The spine has to be removed, and vertical smoothed into the fuselage

2 "Aircraft dependent" the RWR and strike camera have to go

3 The reinforcement plates under the wings should be removed

4. Step 3 forces a fill on the wing pylons to make them flush

5 The reinforcement plates/ ram air scoops on the rear of the fuselage should be removed for "most" aircraft. I have seen a couple of pics of silver birds with the ram air (look close)

Then there are the "fixes" to make the kit closer to an F-105....those are all well documented

look here this guy captured most of the changes

http://www.largescaleplanes.com/articles/article.php?aid=1568

Thanks for the info and the link.

I have seen those pics and thats why im asking abou the difrences maybe one day............

F-105s went through "Project Lookalike" starting in about 1959.  They went from actual bare metal finish to a painted aluminum finish.  The vast majority of D's were painted that way prior to the advent of SEA camouflage starting in 1965-66.

Thanks Mark