Guillows P- 39 D

Erwin

Erwin,

u'er right on that being 1/16th scale.but still that's going to be one big model.One thing again for u to think about using.R/C stuff comes to mind and there is alot of it out there.One thing u have done from the other balsawood kits is use planking as a filler inbetween the bulkheads and etc.

If u do go this way other than the sheet as to cover up the frame work on the fuselage.One idea comes to mind if u plan the fuselage and that's a wood filler as to mixing up talcum powder and clear dope of even elmer's glue.It makes a apste like sustance and it's also like a wood putty.Mixing is about a 50/50 deal and one is to spread it over the suface and let dry and then sand smooth.

One could even use silkspan as sealer as to applying the wood selaer to the sanded surface and let dry and ready for paint or primer.Just a few ideas for u to think about.Larry

Larry,

We are on the same wavelenght here. I was thinking about doing the fuselage a bit like you said. As a WW-2 fighter has more rounded shapes than a WW-1 plane,it might prove more difficult to shape the balsasheet.

So my idea is to fill the ribs with wood,like all my other builds, and fill the gabs with putty and then sand it smoothly.

Pretty much like your idea.

And if that fails,I can always use balsasheet later.

One side has been filled in with wood,this took about 4 hours to do !

Then covered it with putty.I used Revell Plasto,wicth is suited for plastic and wood.

After sanding all gabs should be smooth.

post-4-1122889621.jpg

I imagine balsa would be a no-go as the grain would carry the scribe line off course. But, your last photo got me thinking that the Plasto might hold a reasonably crisp panel line. I was wondering if you were thinking the same thing.

But in balsawood ? :D

I scribe lines in balsa, most recently on the balsa parts of my '109Z build. My method is to first smooth the surface with Squadron Green Putty, then harden the surface of the wood with clear laquer. Once the laquer is fully cured, just dragging the point of a fresh hobby blade across the surface creates a fine panel line.

Be very careful because the blade will sink in without much pressure, and be steady because the woodgrain will try to deflect the blade as you're dragging it.

Try it on a scrap piece before attempting this on the masterpiece!

HTH,

D

Hi Erwin,

Nice to see you 'Blitzkreiging' another model! :D It's looking very good. I used to make a fair few scale flying models back in the dark ages, and I used similar techniques myself. If this is anything to go by, your Defiant should come out very well indeed - well done.

PS Hello Larry, nice to hear from you again.

Cheers

Derek

Erwin,

If and when u gt the 39 down to where she's smoother than a baby's butt.I would use a very fine marker pen as to do the lines in scribing the 39.If one is to use a blade of any type,u can pop the putty and cracks may accure.Even a number two pencil can be used also for scrinbing the 39.Even bondo i use can pop and crack when doing vacs and etc. with the surface even sealed properly.It's the safest way to do the lines and like the way u appiled the putty to the fuselage.Larry

PS. So WWWHHHHATTTT's UP with u Derak.Larry

If this is anything to go by, your Defiant should come out very well indeed -

Derek,

The Defiant kit is a whole different type.It's from 'Golden Age Reproductions' in about the same 1/16 th scale.

It's not that good as a Guillow kit. I do have a fullscale model plan,but that's about it.The few wooden parts are not that good.

In fact the Defiant will most likely be totaly scratchbuild.

But that's for after this P-39 :D

Somewhere on this site a guy talked about a technique he used for panel lines. He would have the model smooth and then paint it, when the paint was dry he would gently scribe the panel lines in to the paint, you have to be very careful because any screw up will show, but maybe it would be that hard to paint over the screw ups? It gives a pretty realistic and thin panel line.

Do your plans have drawings of the fuselage formers? I have drawings for the plane but not fuselage cross sections. If you have a scanner could you scan the fuselage formers for me sometime please?

Hi Erwin,

Going great guns mate! The thing that strikes me is how quickly you get these balsa beauties done :lol: It's quite incredible, especially as the construction techniques appear to be pretty different to plastic kits.

Anyway, good stuff!

Cheers,

Ango.

Hi Guys,

Following on from Brads request to Erwin, does anyone out there in LSP land have any decent plans (with fuselage cross sections) of the P-39/63 that can be scanned and sent to me please? (just gathering reference for future builds, so it would be very muchly appreciated if anyone can help).

Many thanks

Derek