Trumpeter Me 262 A-1a (1/32) Work

Austinjj23

Thanks,

I like how it looks and all, I just don't know why they made it all such a blueish color..... everyone and their brother knows that these parts should be that dark RLM 66 grey.. Not really much that i can do now though... It looks worse in the pictures than in real life colorwise.. its still a shade or 2 too blue though..

Austin

Edited by Austinjj23

Thanks,

I like how it looks and all, I just don't know why they made it all such a blueish color..... everyone and their brother knows that these parts should be that dark RLM 66 grey.. Not really much that i can do now though... It looks worse in the pictures than in real life colorwise.. its still a shade or 2 too blue though..

Austin

They did the exact same thing with the set they put out for ZM and the SPAD I just finished. Most of the pit and IP should have been black, but came as this same bluish color. For all that is right with the Eduard color IP, some of their choices on actual hue are questionable.

It still looks really great though, regardless of hue.

As far as the hue of the P.E. goes... I'm satisfied with the look, and love the level of accuracy and detail provided, and its not a total loss because of the off color. your point is right on. Its about 2 shades too blue to match the rlm66 interior painted parts. For some reason it is very exaggerated in the photos... I'll just have to live with it though.

Martin:

This diagram, does it show the real wiring? The way it is on the real plane? If so, I have a question... Several gauge bezels on the diagram have no wires, is that correct? This is very helpful. I will alter my build and do some scratch building to make it as accurate as possible. Where did you get this? There are several other areas where wiring diagrams would come in handy. I've done some research, and keep coming up empty handed. Areas like in the wheel bay, and gun bay etc...

Thank you.

Austin

Martin:

This diagram, does it show the real wiring? The way it is on the real plane?

Based on the research I did when I built my Avia S-92, I would say not. It's actually quite busy back there, with each instrument having at least one set of wires coming out the back. As always, I'm happy to be proved wrong!

Kev

Hi Austin,

Excellent work on the cockpit. I'm looking forward to seeing the completed aircraft.

For your subject - Red 7 (WNr.5012??) - you might wish to get the book on the Me 262s of KG(J) and KG units that I co-authored with my colleagues at JaPo: http://www.japo.eu/products.php?prod=15

This aircraft is covered in detail, and like the others in the book includes a colour profile and colour four-views along with all known photographs and detailed discussion on its camouflage, markings and history. Regarding the latter, we believe that this aircraft was the aircraft of Fw. Franz Gapp of 8./KG(J) 6 as noted in his flightbook. Indeed, this aircraft was flown on the last day of the war and was most likely the aircraft that Lt. Heinrich Haeffner (2./KG 51) planned to fly from Prague to Munich later that day but didn't due to mechanical issues. Instead, he flew Yellow 5 (WNr.501232) and this aircraft now resides in the USAF Museum in Dayton.

Cheers,

David

Hi Austin,

Excellent work on the cockpit. I'm looking forward to seeing the completed aircraft.

For your subject - Red 7 (WNr.5012??) - you might wish to get the book on the Me 262s of KG(J) and KG units that I co-authored with my colleagues at JaPo: http://www.japo.eu/p...cts.php?prod=15

This aircraft is covered in detail, and like the others in the book includes a colour profile and colour four-views along with all known photographs and detailed discussion on its camouflage, markings and history. Regarding the latter, we believe that this aircraft was the aircraft of Fw. Franz Gapp of 8./KG(J) 6 as noted in his flightbook. Indeed, this aircraft was flown on the last day of the war and was most likely the aircraft that Lt. Heinrich Haeffner (2./KG 51) planned to fly from Prague to Munich later that day but didn't due to mechanical issues. Instead, he flew Yellow 5 (WNr.501232) and this aircraft now resides in the USAF Museum in Dayton.

Cheers,

David

Wow that is great info sir! I will check out the book for sure. I've been unable to find any info on that plane anywhere on the net as of yet so that will be very helpful. I am actually going to dayton wright patterson AF base this weekend for a trip to the museum, and planned to take tons of pictures, Thanks for the info. Are there any other planes out there that you need photos of? I am taking a couple 8GB cards to fill up lol..

Austin.

Update:

Gunsight has been built and installed by the way

P1080033.jpg

P1080035.jpg

P1080036.jpg

turned out pretty cool i think. Much better than the kit part indeed!

Looks like the gunbay and landing gear is up next for construction. I'm pretty excited about that.

Thanks for looking,

Austin

Martin:

This diagram, does it show the real wiring? The way it is on the real plane? If so, I have a question... Several gauge bezels on the diagram have no wires, is that correct? This is very helpful. I will alter my build and do some scratch building to make it as accurate as possible. Where did you get this? There are several other areas where wiring diagrams would come in handy. I've done some research, and keep coming up empty handed. Areas like in the wheel bay, and gun bay etc...

Thank you.

Austin

Hi

your cockpit is very nice

Maybe late,but wiring diagram from Martin came from Me 262 ersatzteilliste = parts manual and is correct, but is only first part. So, this is the reason why not all instruments have their wirings on the diagram.

There is second part

me262_IP_wiring_part_2.jpg

and there is IP from behind - unfortunately without wires but you can see, how many wires goes from individual gauges

Bild_068.jpg

Edited by Pufo

Ok, I need some help if anyone can answer a question for me. I'm trying to find some references for what colors the wheel bays, and the bottom of the cockpit tub need to be painted... Some references are all silver, and some of them show it all as RLM02.. So i'm confused. I've also seen ones that have the cockpit tub bottom (which in in the center of the wheel bay) painted silver and the rest of the insides of the wheelbays RLM02.. And my Trumpeter instructions are telling me to paint it all RLM02.. So if anyone can give me a pointer of two it would be very helpful.

Update:

I'm currently working on the gun bay. Its not complete just yet, and so i will wait to share pictures of the finished bay, but i did want to share how i did the cannons as they turned out nice. I airbrushed them black then i applied some soft 5b drawing pencil lead to them. I used a razor blade to shave the lead, giving me a powder graphite. Then just simply applied it with my fingers. The trumpeter instructions say to paint them "metal black" so this was the way i've seen them done in a couple other peoples builds of this plane. I cant remember where I got this tip exactly though. All I can say is that it works and looks superb. Its kinda hard to capture the look of it in photographs, but i tried my best. check out the pics below. I should have pictures of the finished gun bay posted later today or this evening.

Thanks,

Austin

Before and after 5B lead treatment..

P1080049.jpg

Close-up before

P1080040.jpg

And after

P1080046.jpg

The tops of the cannons look especially cool. the blurry one on the left is before, and the right is after lead treatment.

P1080043.jpg

Another before and after shot

P1080047.jpg

Here are 3 treated cannons, and the one in the foreground is not (obviously)..

P1080048.jpg

Check back later for more

Austin

Are the guns stock from the kit? They look excellent!

Concerning the color in the main wheelwell, I have seen all the possibilities you mentioned, too. RLM 02 would be correct by the rule book, but the later in the war, its more likely that some or all parts were left unprimed.

Ok, I kinda figured this much. I knew that toward the end of the war they were rushing these planes out to get them in the air so lots of stuff was left unfinished. Thanks for your input. The cannons are actually the stock - kit parts.. I know, they are very well done for kit parts. I've noticed a lot of parts in the kit are very nicely detailed, and it has surprised me time and time again. A very well done kit in my opinion. I'm not used to a kit of this magnitude, being that this is my first trumpy.. this is really the first kit ive done that was above 30$...

Thanks,

Austin

Great work on those cannons Austin!

Ok, I need some help if anyone can answer a question for me. I'm trying to find some references for what colors the wheel bays, and the bottom of the cockpit tub need to be painted... Some references are all silver, and some of them show it all as RLM02.. So i'm confused. I've also seen ones that have the cockpit tub bottom (which in in the center of the wheel bay) painted silver and the rest of the insides of the wheelbays RLM02.. And my Trumpeter instructions are telling me to paint it all RLM02.. So if anyone can give me a pointer of two it would be very helpful.

You could justifiably get away with any of those combinations. I think that area looks great in natural metal:

http://forum.largesc...105#entry282649

Example photo from that thread:

post-3071-1285401299.jpg

Any combination you prefer is perfectly acceptable though, in my opinion.

Kev