Tamiya 1/48 P-47 Bubble Jug;UPDATE 1/11/16 MOVING FORWARD

Guest Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

UPDATE: 11/19/20: AK EXTREME METAL FINISH

I just wasn't happy with the NMF; seemed dull and lifeless and just wasn't where I wanted to go. Yup, you guessed it, stripped the Jug down to bare plastic again and once again sanded, washed and polished, hopefully for the last time. This time around, I decided to use AK's Extreme Metals exclusively and see what I could really do. The Jug was first primed with MIGâ€s Grey Primer, then AK's Black Base and let dry for 24 hours. Then the base aluminum (AK 479) went on in light, even layers with the gun bays masked out and shot with AK Dark Aluminum (AK 480). The results were dramatic and I was on my way.

The anti glare panels were masked out and shot with Model Air Olive Drab and the invasion stripes were done with Tamiya flat white and flat black. Masking took over four hours but well worth the extra effort, including the black stripes on the tailfeathers. With all the masking, I'm happy to report, not a speck of AK Extreme Metals lifted or was damaged from the masking tape.

The big bad prop, was also stripped and then primed with MIG Gray Primer and finished with Tamiya Gloss Black.

Some how between my Viper and the Jug, I've logged more time stripping paint, then actually building!

Next up: decaling and the gear.

Thanks for checking in

Peter

untitled-4_zps1jglwvrn.jpg

untitled-2-3_zpsydomyfyj.jpg

untitled-4-2_zpsgemgqdbu.jpg

untitled-5_zpseitmjhox.jpg

Edited by Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

Much appreciate Jim

Going for the nearly impossible and I've been using Tamiya's decals. The checkerboard nose was a gem of a fight and I'm hoping that the balance of the decals will be a bit easier. My big concern is getting the Flory washes to actually sick in place. I've been testing on the flaps and so far, have struck out with nothing sticking into the rivets.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Thank You John

I was shooting for a bit more of a darker metallic base color and I guess, actually following the instructions wasn't such a bad idea the second time around. Getting to be an old pro at stripping paint from models these days.

Peter

Edited by Peterpools