Project for a Friend

scvrobeson

Hey guys. Just wanted to show you what I've been working on lately, instead of my normal LSP stuff. My best friend's birthday is coming up, and I wanted to make her something special. So I went out and found a plane with her name on it. I found out that a P-47D was named "Angie" in Belgium in 1945, so I had my project. I went and picked up the Tamiya kit, and quickly ordered the Barracduacals from Sprue Brothers, and I got straight to work. I've been studying the Andrea Miniatures F.A.Qs book, and have really been trying to use the techniques. So I mixed up all of the colors from Tamiya acrylics, and sprayed the interior Dull Dark Green. The cockpit came out really well, in my opinion. Wish I had taken more pictures of it before sealing it all up.

The exterior was sprayed using 8 shades of Alclad, all mixed in different proportions to give the desired effects. The OD was a mix of Tamiya again, and the yellow was done with Model Master Enamels, Blue Angels Yellow.

The Barracuda decals were great, but were a bit stubborn. They all needed some Solvaset to really snuggle down, but they worked in the end. The weathering was done using Tamiya Smoke, artist's oils, and Model Master enamels for the gun, mud, and exhaust staining. I think it came out well, what do you all think? It still needs the wheels, prop, and canopy added in, but I've got till October 8th.

P-47D007.jpg

P-47D006.jpg

P-47D005.jpg

P-47D004.jpg

P-47D002.jpg

P-47D003.jpg

P-47D008.jpg

P-47D001.jpg

Hope you all like it. Thanks for reading in, all comments and critiques are welcomed.

Matt. :party0023:

Guest Peterpools

Matt

One sweet looking Jug. Weathering and finish look great. what sealers did you use on the NMF? Need all the info I can get as my Big Jug slowly draws near the painting stages.

:speak_cool: :speak_cool:

Peter

Nice work. Really nice weathering. Maybe it's just me, but I would drop a spot of flat black into the exhaust pipe. That is the exhaust pipe isn't it?

Sincerely,

Mark

Hey Mark. I have no idea if that's the exhaust pipe or not, so I left it as is.... I'm sure there's a P-47 expert on here that can tell me, but I don't have to most references for this bird. That's for the nice comments, I think it came out well.

Matt :party0023:

Matt

One sweet looking Jug. Weathering and finish look great. what sealers did you use on the NMF? Need all the info I can get as my Big Jug slowly draws near the painting stages.

:speak_cool: :speak_cool:

Peter

Hey Peter. Glad you like it. I used Future to do the decals, and then I used Model Master Flat and Semi-Gloss Lacquer over the top to finish everything off and seal the finish. Thanks for stopping in man, can't wait to see how your build goes.

Thanks Matt for the info. Surely will come in handy

Peter

Glad to help Peter. Be sure to keep showing those pictures of the Jug, it's looking good. I found out that Model Master Semi-Gloss isn't as flat as I'd like, so I usually do a 50/50 mix of Semi-Gloss and Flat.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

WOW !!! This is incredibly gorgeous.:)

Thanks Maru! I'm glad you like it. The plane is all done now, so I'll try and snag some pictures this afternoon, and post them up to show everyone what it looks like all done.

up front the outlet is the wastegate flap not the exhaust. I would paint the flap inside burnt metal/rust as it would see a lot of heat.

Build looks very nice.

Thanks Shawn for the extra info. I was not sure what that part was at all, but I figured someone would. I can go back and re-paint that part like you suggested.

Thanks for reading in and commenting. Good to know people enjoy this build.

Hey guys. Here are the finished shots of this one. I was talking to Roy Sutherland last weekend at the Milpitas show, and he asked that I send some photos to his website, so that's pretty great! :speak_cool:

I hope you all like this build, it's going in the mail in the morning, and hopefully will get to Norfolk by the 8th. Thanks to everyone for all of the comments on this build, it was a really, really nice build, and I had tons of fun painting it.

P-47D019.jpg

P-47D021.jpg

CopyofP-47D009.jpg

CopyofP-47D011.jpg

P-47D018.jpg

P-47D016.jpg

P-47D014.jpg

P-47D010.jpg

P-47D013.jpg

Thanks for reading in everyone. All critiques and comments are welcome. :thumbsup:

Looks great even if it is in the wrong scale :lol:

Thanks Ron! I know it's the wrong scale, maybe I'll have to do one in the real scale at some point. This one was just supposed to be a gift for a friend, so I picked something a little bit smaller. I'm glad you like it though, I tried to make this one look as realistic as possible, without looking disgusting.

WOW !!!!! WOW !!!!! SHE looks GORGEOUS now that she is finished...AWESOME Photos too by the way...

LOVE the NEAT, FLAWLESS, And FAULTLESS finish...

Edit:Spelling mistakes/errors.

Thanks a ton Maru! Those are some amazing compliments! The finish isn't exactly faultless, there are some nicks and scratches in the paint, but I guess you can't see them. :speak_cool:

I had lots of fun with this build, and the paint scheme. Thanks for reading in man, comments like yours really make it worthwhile. :thumbsup: