WW2 modellers - HGW seatbelts

RLWP

I sometimes wonder why we spend extra money on small fiddly bits that we won't see much of when it's all over. 

I get impatient, so sometimes I'll make something rather than have to wait for the post

A couple of poor shots of one of my (many) live projects

First from a sensible human viewing distance:

cockpit-1.JPG

and a close up:

cockpit-2.JPG

Those belts are bits of brown paper envelope. The holes were made with the point of a compass and the metal bits are paint. Not highly accurate or detailed, good enough

Richard

Well Dennis, now that's a cutting mat!! What size is it?

Cheers

Alan

Hi Alan the mat is 900 x 600 and is a Model Craft one, PKN6001, but I can't for the life of me remember where I got it from.

Cheers

Dennis

I've been making up some of my stock of RB Luftwaffe belts in recent weeks and once I figured out the best order (hint: read the instructions!), they go together pretty quickly now. Where I did go wrong was on how much of the lap belt attached to the pads I folded over as I followed the sectional sketches too literally. The photos on Radu's site give a more accurate idea as to how long the outer bit should be.

I can report that the Luftwaffe belts are much easier than the Sutton Q harness, which has a scary laminated buckle to build as well as a complicated two-part floating buckle affair for the lap belts. Still, while I've had a few tweezer launch episodes, nothing has gone permanently MIA yet and the finished belts do look very convincing.

They are also ideal hotel room projects as the tool requirements are very limited - two scalpels, two pairs of tweezers (one locking), flat nosed piers, sanding stick, cocktail stick and Gator grip glue suffice for me.

Need to order some for my P-51 and Spitfire now.

Thirding the suggestion to avoid CA glue on HGW belts. It doesn't stick well at all. I just end up gluing my tweezers together. :/

I use Roket Card Glue and it works great on the belts and PE.

Edited by Gewehr 43