Ensign "Hammy" Grey's F4U-1D Corsair Technique Question

Totalize

If he is building the restored warbird, it shouldn't matter if the warbird's serial is accurate or not. He is trying to replicate the aircraft pictured in the photo, and not what Grey was flying the day he died.

3 hours ago, Brad-M said:

If he is building the restored warbird, it shouldn't matter if the warbird's serial is accurate or not. He is trying to replicate the aircraft pictured in the photo, and not what Grey was flying the day he died.

Obviously. But in the last post, the question of the accuracy of the font for the code on the restored warbird was raised (in comparison to wartime photos). Hence my comment.

And while we're at it it's not Ensign Hammy Grey but Lt Robert "Hammy" Gray 

Would go the safe route of main color blue enamel and gloss, then fastener heads acrylic silver

with a moistened paper towel at the ready to wipe away excess. Benefit that you are doing a

glossy warbird. The aft area of the cowl flaps either Alclad chrome, Molitow, or Bare metal foil.

Any of those may be too chrome at first, but should tone down just right with the protective clear.

On 1/18/2024 at 4:14 PM, iang said:

A more fundamental problem is that X/115 was not KD658*.  The serial of X/115 is not known nor is the code for KD658.**

* X/115 had forced landed on USS Shangri-la CV38 and took off for HMS Formidable just before Gray's flight took-off according to the 1842 Fair Flying Log. So Gray could not have been flying X/115 on the Onagawa Wan mission. Moreover, X/115 was flown after 9 August by other 1842 pilots. The serial of X/115 is not recorded.

** KD658 is the aircraft recorded in HMS Formidable's Report of losses as the one that was lost at Onagawa Wan, on 9 August 1945. The code is not recorded.

Iang. Yes, I have read that 115 was not KD658 but I am just going for likeness of the Restoration aircraft. The actual aircraft obviously didn't have the plaques I am adding that were on the restoration aircraft.

Edited by Totalize