1/32 Li-2 printable model (Russian DC-3 copy)

EvilCarrot

So, couple of thoughts, from the perspective of an "assembler" ;)

Pros: Engineering wise it seems to be well thought out, with a pin system to align everything, good part separation and all the big parts seem to be hollowed out. There's a basic interior and the model has surface detail, which is more then most of the online models have. High polygon count, all surfaces, details and edges look nice and smooth. Transparent pieces are separate so they can be printed in clear material.

Cons: Rivets and panel lines seem oversized to me, how they look after printing remains to be seen. Cockpit is only detailed at the front, so those that want a full interior will have some scratchbuilding to do. Engines will need to be covered up or replaced as they're more designed like a toy. It uses the same engine as the I-16 which is itself based on the Wright R-1820 Cyclone, so there are options out there. Painting and detailing the interior could be tricky but there's always the option to further split the parts before printing. Landing light covers are clear parts but the lights will have to be scratchbuilt.

Can't say much about the accuracy, I'll leave that to the experts. One thing I've seen so far is one of the side windows on the nose part should be further to the back.

Conclusion: I'm very impressed with this model. With an engine replacement and some landing lights in the wings I think it will look the part. If, however, you want an accurate model with all the bells and whistles you'll have some work to do but it might be an easier starting point than a VAC-form kit.

5 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

Indeed. I intend to buy an Elegoo Saturn or another equivalent resin printer end of 2023. This model will also be on my purchase list!

Be sure to check out the UniFormation GKTwo, if I hadn't bought the Saturn that's the one I'd save up for. ;)