ICM Yak-9T

Dpgsbody55

Here is my latest model build, ICM's Yak-9T.  The model represents a Yak-9T of the VVS 3rd Fighter Group active in the Kursk region of Ukraine in 1943.  Like all recent ICM kits this is another fine kit and an enjoyable build.  The kit is well detailed as we've come to expect from ICM and parts fit is generally very good.  My model has almost no filler anywhere, and the wing to fuselage join is excellent.  The biggest area of concern to me was the way the undercarriage fits, which to me is not that positive.  However, with a little thought and care, it still appears to be a strong enough joint for the job.  You can find my WIP on this model here.  The model is enhanced with Eduard etch cockpit details and seat belts, and the exhausts are Eduard Brassin 3D printed plastic.  I've done very little in the way of weathering, just enough to give it a little life.  As most of the plane was wood, the usual scratching doesn't really apply, so I've confined myself to some stains to take away the factory fresh look.

The model comes with a representation of the Klimov V-12 engine as well as the armament consisting of a 37mm engine mounted cannon and a 12.7mm UBS machine gun.  This can be built in detail and the cowlings left off, or just the barest engine to mount the prop and cowlings fitted.  However, I've built mine with the detailed engine and guns, and also made the cowlings fit over this.  The only compromise is the cowling frames can't be glued in and go on in place of the cowlings when I display it opened up.  I've also made the canopy slide.  One final modification is to the ammunition boxes which are not well detailed.  I cut out that detail and added a string of bullets to each of these, made from left over etch ammo belts from a P-47 build.  These modifications are very easy to do and don't detract from the finished product.

Here's the photos.

QBUxAe.jpg

zt4xlf.jpg

Cwxe6h.jpg

13kiwt.jpg

BfuWhr.jpg

SynfjN.jpg

swXpNN.jpg

M7QnkD.jpg

tyOtQA.jpg

OkYvOJ.jpg

PNDBKk.jpg

Okv0jv.jpg

Definitely a good build and one I'm happy to recommend.  It looks good next to my Special Hobby Yak-3.

Cheers,

Michael

Edited by Dpgsbody55

On 3/24/2023 at 3:52 PM, Greif8 said:

I enjoyed following your build of this aircraft Mike.  It is a real eye-catcher.

Ernest

Thank you.  I enjoyed building it and I'm pleased with how it turned out.  It's nice to have something different to work on too, so looking forward to see what ICM have lined up for next year.

On 3/24/2023 at 4:43 PM, MikeMaben said:

Looks great Mike  :goodjob::clap2::speak_cool:

Thanks Mike.  It turned out well, but there's a couple of things I'd do differently if I do a Yak-9K.

Cheers,

Michael