Spitfire FR.IX camera controller

Hello,

I am on the eve of starting a Spitfire FR.IX project. On this FR.IX the canons on the wing are retained so I think the gunsight should be present too

In this case, where is the camera controller mounted? above the throttle quadrant on the port cockpit wall ? Is there anyone who can help with this? Any drawings or pictures?

Thanks in advance

SP-T11.png

Untitled-1-11.jpg

Good question, Tolga!
I haven't found anything regarding the controller's position and have to admit, that I omitted it in my FR IXc build.

One thing I can assure: the gun sight was present, at least on MK915. There's a photo in "Merlin PR Spitfires", where it's visible from the outside.

20 minutes ago, Fanes said:

Good question, Tolga!
I haven't found anything regarding the controller's position and have to admit, that I omitted it in my FR IXc build.

One thing I can assure: the gun sight was present, at least on MK915. There's a photo in "Merlin PR Spitfires", where it's visible from the outside.

Thanks Fanes

Actually I'm planning to build Mk915 on "AIMS' monotone Spitfires" set. This is a standard MK.IX with an oblique camera.

I could have asked John but I didn't want to bother him as he was still in the convalescence phase.

Sunu1.jpg

19 minutes ago, quang said:

@Tolga ULGUR @Fanes Don’t forget the intervalometer. I suppose every recce machine had one.

Cheers,

Quang also in the pink

Ohh, new things come out as you dig.:BANGHEAD2: So any idea where to put it?:hmmm:

And what device is used, do you have a picture of an RAF intervalometer :whistle:

And finally @quang Which pink are you dealing with?

1 hour ago, Tolga ULGUR said:

Ohh, new things come out as you dig.:BANGHEAD2: So any idea where to put it?:hmmm:

And what device is used, do you have a picture of an RAF intervalometer :whistle:

Hello Tolga. I’m a newbie concerning everything Spit. I first heard about the intervalometer when I converted a 1/48 P-51 into a recce version.

The intervalometer determined the interval at which photos would be automatically taken, thus permitting  the photo interpreters to calculate the exact location of each shot. In the P-51, it was a small box mounted on the cockpit floor.

8-F0507-BD-EC5-F-4003-8501-5-B9-B0-B58-B

I’m still researching about the devices used on RAF recce planes.

HTH

Quang

Edited by quang

The same as yours :P Albeit mine will be the Airfix 1/24 Spit IX.

My biggest concern is how to make something look pink while not being actually pink.:coolio:

Edited by quang

21 minutes ago, quang said:

Hello Tolga. I’m a newbie concerning everything Spit. I first heard about the intervalometer when I converted a 1/48 P-51 into a recce version.

The intervalometer determined the interval at which photos would be automatically taken, thus permitting  the photo interpreters to calculate the exact location of each shot. In the P-51, it was a small box mounted on the cockpit floor.

8-F0507-BD-EC5-F-4003-8501-5-B9-B0-B58-B

I’m still researching about the devices used on RAF recce planes.

HTH

Quang

Thanks Quang

16 minutes ago, quang said:

My biggest concern is how to make something look pink while not being actually pink.:coolio:

Ahh we intersected again.

Yes this color is not a true pink. It's like a pinkish very light grey. You may like the following color tones

51992719520-4b53f2c050-c.jpg

51992452539-724001d8cc-c.jpg

25 minutes ago, quang said:

By the way, what do you think about the 1/24 Airfix spitfire seat? The back seems too flat, especially when compared to Barracuda's 1/32 seats

Edited by Tolga ULGUR

2 hours ago, quang said:

@Tolga ULGUR @Fanes Don’t forget the intervalometer. I suppose every recce machine had one.

Cheers,

Quang also in the pink

I can - maybe - clarify that one.
According to "merlin PR Spitfire in detail", the intervalometer is integrated in the Type 35 controller (in Tolga's first picture).

Another bit of information that I found: The FR IXc had the camera switch on the controll column - below the gun button.

4 hours ago, Tolga ULGUR said:

Hello,

I am on the eve of starting a Spitfire FR.IX project. On this FR.IX the canons on the wing are retained so I think the gunsight should be present too

In this case, where is the camera controller mounted? above the throttle quadrant on the port cockpit wall ? Is there anyone who can help with this? Any drawings or pictures?

Thanks in advance

SP-T11.png

Untitled-1-11.jpg

Hi,

I never found the final word on that when I made the research work intended to help John. However, there are not a lot of non-cluttered locations reachable by the pilot. Under the IP lower edge on both sides or on the cockpit starboard side would be the most logical ones. However, without a picture, it is not possible to give a definite reply. As such planes were modified in the field, I'm not even sure there are was a formal standard modification process to comply with!

Thierry

30 minutes ago, Fanes said:

I can - maybe - clarify that one.
According to "merlin PR Spitfire in detail", the intervalometer is integrated in the Type 35 controller (in Tolga's first picture).

Another bit of information that I found: The FR IXc had the camera switch on the controll column - below the gun button.

26 minutes ago, thierry laurent said:

Hi,

I never found the final word on that when I made the research work intended to help John. However, there are not a lot of non-cluttered locations reachable by the pilot. Under the IP lower edge on both sides or on the cockpit starboard side would be the most logical ones. However, without a picture, it is not possible to give a definite reply. As such planes were modified in the field, I'm not even sure there are was a formal standard modification process to comply with!

Thierry

Thanks to both of you. I will try to make a logical application as much as possible in this multivariable and unknown equation. I would like you to excuse any mistakes in advance.

24 minutes ago, Tolga ULGUR said:

By the way, what do you think about the 1/24 Airfix spitfire seat? The back seems too flat, especially when compared to Barracuda's 1/32 seats

To be frank with you, I forced myself NOT to open the Airfix box until I finish the Revell Hurricane.
On the other hand, an old IPMS friend also bought the big Spit and keeps distracting me. Like you, he also found the back of the Airfix seat rather flat and added some milliput to it. I can see the difference although I think you can tell only after the seat is painted and weathered.

Having said that, the Airfix kit is truly magnificent and a state-of-the-art kit of the 2020s. I ordered the obligatory Monforton bible and will do my homework while waiting for the paint on my Hurricane to dry.

14 minutes ago, quang said:

To be frank with you, I forced myself NOT to open the Airfix box until I finish the Revell Hurricane.
On the other hand, an old IPMS friend also bought the big Spit and keeps distracting me. Like you, he also found the back of the Airfix seat rather flat and added some milliput to it. I can see the difference although I think you can tell only after the seat is painted and weathered.

Having said that, the Airfix kit is truly magnificent and a state-of-the-art kit of the 2020s. I ordered the obligatory Monforton bible and will do my homework while waiting for the paint on my Hurricane to dry.

Good luck on your build