Liquitex Flow-Aid and Slow-Dri: Two Handy Reagents for Taming Acrylic Primers and Paints

Stuka

Hey Guys,

Liquitex Flow-Aid and Slow-Dri are two reagents I've used with every acrylic paint I've shot in the last 20 years.  Issues common to spraying acrylic paints like like tip-dry, clogging, intermittent spraying, and dry, over-spray are all drastically reduced by the addition of Slow and Flow to your favorite acrylic thinner or acrylic paint mix. After a protracted search I've found a reliable supplier of Liquitex products that allows me to put them on MPS at a reasonable price. 

Here's a line to an article describing how to use Liquitex Slow and Flow when diluting/spraying acrylic primers, paints, or clear coats:

https://modelpaintsol.com/guides/liquitex-flow-and-slow-the-tools-for-taming-acrylic-paints

Thanks!

--John

• 11 months later...

It’s important to add that the Slow-Dri being mentioned is the Additive, not the Medium, both of which exist in the Liquitex lineup. Additionally, Flow-Aid is a concentrate. It’s meant to be diluted 1:20 with water or thinner right out of the bottle. So, it’s not 5% to an airbrush cup, it’s 5% to a thinner mix which you’ll then thin your paint with as normal. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/16/2023 at 10:14 AM, Colin F said:

It’s important to add that the Slow-Dri being mentioned is the Additive, not the Medium, both of which exist in the Liquitex lineup. Additionally, Flow-Aid is a concentrate. It’s meant to be diluted 1:20 with water or thinner right out of the bottle. So, it’s not 5% to an airbrush cup, it’s 5% to a thinner mix which you’ll then thin your paint with as normal. 

The 1:20 dilution in water that is recommended by Liquitex is for brushing, no?

Hey Folks,

I get the question about diluting Liquitex Flow-Aid 1:20 before using it a lot through my site. I don't prepare a 1:20 and never have. I use it neat; straight from the bottle and have for 20 years w/out an issue. I usually add it to all my acrylic thinners to 5 or 10% by volume depending on what I intend to use the thinner for (general work or fine-line, respectively). Using it neat also allows you to "spike" an airbrush paint cup with just a few drops of Flow but have a demonstrable effect on tip dry since it's concentrated (not diluted). I hope that helps:) Let me know if you have any questions.

Best,

--John