Airfix 1/24 Focke-Wulf 190

SimonCornes

I’ve just acquired one of these via ebay. I know if it’s poor fit reputation although mine is an original boxing so it might be better. My question is whether there is any aftermarket available for it - decals or resin/etch ?

Many thanks

Simon

Thanks Paul - that could be interesting. I’ve found Eduard etch instruments and placards and Eduard or HGW straps. Also Aber and Master barrels. Did anyone do aftermarket decals I wonder?

I dont know if you can find it, but J Rutman also did a cockpit and sets for the wheelwells and landing gear themselves as well as a A-8 conversion. Not sure Greymatter picked those up, though.

Verlinden did a cockpit set for the Trumpy D-9, might be able to use some of that, and I think Master did some German brass gun barrels.

There were a few AM decals and mask sets by CAM and Montex as well.

Hi Simon

found this via Google search 

https://www.ebay.de/itm/321128999674

but no idea / experience with it.

Did you read the articles of Andrea Ferrari here on LSP-Site about his several builds of Airfix 1/24 scale Focke Wulf 190?

Maybe this is a help.

What about  paint masks instead of decals? 

Regards,

Nils

Thanks Nils , yes I've seen that on Ebay - its a Grey Matter conversion. Ray, I think that GM also still do the Rutman stuff but I'm wondering how much I can actually use of the Airfix kit. Apart from instrument dials and harnesses it might be case of looking at, say, a Revell I/32 cockpit and engine and then improving the Airfix parts using 1/32 references. I was just looking to see what references I had on the Fw-190 and I seem to have diddly squat - although maybe not too much point in going overboard in that respect right now. Sometimes its better to work out what you actually ned first but I'm surprised theres nothing like an MDF on the Butcher Bird. Maybe Valiant Wings do a book. I have seen a review on LSP so it may be the one you refer to Nils - worth downloading and printing off as a reference for the cardinal points - like shortening the engine 'egg' by 5mm or so! 

Cheers

Simon

The only thing I remember about building this kit in the late 80s when I was a kid, was, the cowling would not fit. Not even close. Like, I was so confused, I had never had a kit fit so poorly. The 1/24th Hurricane had been an awesome build. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/5/2021 at 1:23 AM, JeepsGunsTanks said:

The only thing I remember about building this kit in the late 80s when I was a kid, was, the cowling would not fit. Not even close. Like, I was so confused, I had never had a kit fit so poorly. The 1/24th Hurricane had been an awesome build. 

I built the Hurricane back in the 70's ands I renovated it about 10 years ago now and its still great - better than the Trumpeter alternative IMHO. The 190 arrived yesterday and, apart from decals which show that they're 40 years old, the plastic looks absolutely fine. I have copies of some build reviews so I know that I have to lose 5mm between the front and rear of the engine and I can se why the rake of the main gear legs might be wrong - because they were produced in the days when Airfix gave you 'working features' but that can all be attended to and the result can be very good so I'm happy. Just need some HGW fabric seat straps and maybe some instrument panel placards and dial faces. All available but I think my first stop will be to get a copy of the Valiant Wings book on the radial engined FW-190. Then I'll put the kit in the loft and forget about it for 5 years!! 

The kit is a bear, lots of issues with fit and sink marks. The Grey Matter L/G corrects the gear angle and the leg length as the kit oleo is at max extension. The gear door as well is replaced and the set certainly adds to the correct look. The wheel wells need extensive scratch building... basically a plastic hole. Yes the engine is too far forward by the measurements you listed and the cowling is a struggle to get right. The guns all need replacing and extensive scratch work. The cockpit builds up well and with a little extra work looks quite good.

F8caaoE.jpg

Gear legs for the Trumpy D-9 (both metal and kit part..the kit legs are beautiful, the doors are a joke) the Grey Matter parts and finally the kit parts. You can see the difference in the kit gear and door size due to the leg being molded at max extension. (interestingly the metal leg suffers the same issue.)

HavPJYu.jpg

1laqeem.jpg

All detail is scratch except for the gear leg and drag strut. As far as I'm aware no one makes a wheel well insert.

Mn0TDUh.jpg

The kit cockpit is not bad at all, a bit of extra work needed but nothing major. Airscale makes a good replacement set but I was quite happy with just a bit of touch up here and there and a set of seatbelts.

UCclovN.jpg

wVLbZLe.jpg

uiclQkq.jpg

All the kit gives for the inner bay is the gun..extensive scratch work needed here.

Hope this helps

Vaughn

That's some beautiful work Vaughn. Luckily I enjoy scratchbuilding - proper modelling in my book! Grey Matter are based about 30 miles away from me - as the crow flies - so maybe I'll take advantage of some of their gear legs - and resin tyres. The cockpit looks fine. I see Eduard do some placards as well? I suppose it would be nice if there were some aftermarket decals to. The sheet I have has obviously got damp at some point in the last 40 years but it looks broadly okay but there are no red stencils for the drop tank - maybe they were include in a more recent issue? I'm on the lookout for copies of the later decal sheets for things like that.