WNW Sopwith Pup

Greif8

Outstanding work, what a pleasing vignette and superb build of the Pup! The striped scheme is spectacular, must have been a pain to do.

Your pilot figure is excellent. One thing that caught my eye is that you captured the matte finish of the cloth on his uniform perfectly. So many figures are painted well enough, but the clothing is finished either glossy or satin, makes them look like toys. Yours is completely convincing! I swore I saw a thread pattern when I enlarged it. :)

Richard

3 hours ago, R Palimaka said:

Outstanding work, what a pleasing vignette and superb build of the Pup! The striped scheme is spectacular, must have been a pain to do.

Your pilot figure is excellent. One thing that caught my eye is that you captured the matte finish of the cloth on his uniform perfectly. So many figures are painted well enough, but the clothing is finished either glossy or satin, makes them look like toys. Yours is completely convincing! I swore I saw a thread pattern when I enlarged it. :)

Richard

Thank you Richard!  The strips on the wings, tail plane and top of the cowling are painted; I used the kit decals for the fuselage.  As it turned out, the decals were much more fiddly than prepping and airbrushing the strips.  The figure's uniform did turn out pretty well.  I am not totally satisfied with the face though - the color tone could have been better.  The only uniform item I paint with a slight sheen or gloss is leather.  Thank you gain for the kind words.

Ernest 

Hello Ernest,

Your airplane build looks great.   And you did a great job on the figure too =). 

re:>> I have had the figure so long that I have forgotten who the pilot is that it represents, of even it if is supposed to be an actual pilot.  Heck, I can't even remember who makes the figure >>

That is our (Model Cellar figure) item 32007 WWI RFC Pilot Officer.  It's really a 'generic' pilot, not meant to be anyone in particular.  Sculpted by Mike Good and our box at was painted by Tim Farrell.  See it here in our catalog:

1/32 Scale (54mm) Archives - The Model Cellar

regards,

Paul

8 hours ago, ModelCellar said:

Hello Ernest,

Your airplane build looks great.   And you did a great job on the figure too =). 

re:>> I have had the figure so long that I have forgotten who the pilot is that it represents, of even it if is supposed to be an actual pilot.  Heck, I can't even remember who makes the figure >>

That is our (Model Cellar figure) item 32007 WWI RFC Pilot Officer.  It's really a 'generic' pilot, not meant to be anyone in particular.  Sculpted by Mike Good and our box at was painted by Tim Farrell.  See it here in our catalog:

1/32 Scale (54mm) Archives - The Model Cellar

regards,

Paul

Hi Paul thank you for both the compliment and reminding me what company I bought the figure from!  I have had it a very long time and just could not remember where I purchased it from.  I agree the sculpting is first class, as is the casting.  Both make assembling and painting the figure a pleasure. 

Ernest 

On 5/31/2021 at 10:40 AM, thammond65 said:

Lovely build and weathering. Very striking indeed. But I think your pilot already has his wings so he's soloed before now!

Thank you for the compliment.  Great point about the wings.  Perhaps he is an instructor pilot just glad to have survived another training flight! 

Ernest 

On 5/31/2021 at 9:40 AM, thammond65 said:

But I think your pilot already has his wings so he's soloed before now!

Indeed: this was an instructor's aircraft, to enable instructors to keep their hand in and develop their skills.

4 hours ago, MikeC said:

Indeed: this was an instructor's aircraft, to enable instructors to keep their hand in and develop their skills.

Interesting info Mike, I did not know the actual aircraft was assigned to Instructors. 

Ernest