F4U - 1A Corsair

Chris,

Your work on the bent winged bird is really neat and tidy - it is going to look really good when finished. Your exhausts look very convincing. Good recovery with the wing dihedral problem. One tip for your future builds, thinning the edges of access panel openings and undercarriage bays would give the wall thickness of the plastic a much more scale appearence to your models, and hence more realism. This can easily be achieved by either scraping or filing the inside of the plastic to produce a knife-edge thickness, or opening the access panel/bay slightly larger, and gluing thin micro strip to the edges (suitably filled and sanded externally, or course) to produce the same effect.

HTH

Derek

Hi Chris

This is coming VERY nicely ! I cant wait to see your painting skills tackle this Corsair !

Maybe you could add a bit wiring behind the armament boxes each side of the gunsight ? If I remember well they were quite messy and visible, but I'm not sure though ?

keep us posted

Fanch :lol:

Hopefully, here is a picture of the FAA Museum's Corsair. The armament boxes on top of the cockpit are a little different from the ones used by the US Navy, but they do look similar.

There are a number of other differences between the FAA and the USN cockpits, including radio placment (TR9) map case and signal flare cartridge holders also the throttle is a little different, for the radio button .

I am presently building the Trumpeter Corsair, but as a FAA bird, from HMS Formidable. I will also get around to putting a few shots of it up.

MRP

Ok lets try the picture again ! It works. This is the most original Corsair cockpit in the world. This is the only Corsair with an untouched (restored) cockpit left. It was built by Goodyear in 1944 and it remained that way.

MRP

post-4-1141328561.jpg

Guest Vincent

Hello

Just a warning about the FAA Corsair cockpit picture : the armament boxes, throttle and gunsight mount are different from the USN ones as this particular bird was fitted with the american version of the british gyro gunsight (Mk14)..

Cheers

Vincent

There is much happend from the last pics till now. The bird is painted and the decals are on! ;) The red outlines around the national emblem and the blue center were a bit bright and clean, so i decided to overpaint them carefully with white.

Let me know what you guys think.

Cheers,

Chris

post-4-1141600322_thumb.jpg