1/32 B-24D ‘standard camo’ aftermarket decals..?

tomprobert

Morning all,

Does anyone know of any aftermarket decals for standard D-model versions in OD/NG, either ready to purchase or in production?

I’ve seen plenty for Ploesti-era birds with their sand camouflage done by the aftermarket as well as assembly ships, but I want to do later standard camo 8AF D-model with the larger squadron letters etc. which add a bit more visual interest. 

Any ideas?

Tom

Edited by tomprobert

22 hours ago, nmayhew said:

none that I know of

going to have to custom masks with no nose art at the moment (although there are some custom decal guys on SMCG)

Thanks - and I thought that might be the case. It’s surprising there are none for the 8th AF camo ships but hopefully in due course some will be released. There’s some cracking schemes to do with the big bomb group letters etc. so I’ll just bide my time. 

As for SMCG I got banned from there about a year or so ago as I had the audacity to defend the latest Airfix kits when, as usual, they were being slated over there! :D

Tom

1 hour ago, Jennings Heilig said:

We talked about it - for about five minutes.  I just don't see the market being anywhere near big enough to expect 1/32 B-24 decals to pay for themselves, much less make any money.

That’s an interesting point, Jennings. I suppose the market is relatively small, but there are a few sheets around for the Lanc and B-17 and I had hoped the Lib would get the same love!

I agree with Jennings on this one. If we're talking standard decal sheet size, you're looking at one option per sheet. Or, doing it like Kitsworld does, where you don't get a complete set of markings for a particular bird, and you have to piece the rest together.

I had luck finding someone to do custom markings for mine, and for a very reasonable price. I recommend finding a bird you particularly want to build, and finding someone skilled and competent in making custom decals/masks and asking them to make them for you. That's the most cost-effective option for all parties involved!

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

43 minutes ago, Jennings Heilig said:

The main problem is the size.  For a given area of decal paper you can only get so many markings, and 1/32 four-engined bombers are gigantic.

Jennings

Just do the nose art!

Since you have decided not to dabble in masks (which is a shame), just let people source their own insignia and letters etc.

Tbh as great as your decals are - and for those that have never used them, they ARE indeed great - for something this big i would use masks anyway

What I can't chef up in a custom order to a mask maker is nose art.

Why not do a poll of which ones people want, and only print if people commit / pay half up front or whatever?

Hope you can be tempted to do a few as I know you will do an awesome job

cheers

Nick (who deals in solutions, not problems B))

2 minutes ago, nmayhew said:

Jennings

Just do the nose art!

I would have to concur with Nick here actually. I can easily cut all my own codes, code serials, walk lines, roundels ect, ect, but what I and others likely would need are the nose art, and any teeny tiny stencils to be applied, which would hopefully save on a lot of realestate for the sheet. 

I’ve actually been doing a bit of research on the standard camo option provided in the B-24D kit. It turns out ‘Satan’s Angels’ survived Ploesti and returned safely to the UK to continue operations from Hardwick until it was pranged in the November of 1943.

Therefore, it would still have been in service after the large 93rd BG bomb group marking of a 'B' in a white circle was introduced on the outer fins and starboard wing, along with the later star and bar US insignia. 

So all I need to do is make masks for my own squadron markings, either spray or source some later US insignia and use the kit’s nose art. Bingo! - I have a more eye-catching scheme. 

Tom