MiniArt Liore et Olivier LeO C.30A Aeronavale

dutik

liore-6ucjb0.jpg

Dashboards ready. Styrene parts are a bit soft in detail. Maybe you want to replace the instrument faces with PE bezels. Kit decals are nice. Some trimming recommended. There are some spare decals for the "clocks", but no placard decals. Used some generic sets by Airscale and Anyz. Had no white or silver decals at hand and used the red placards instead to add a splash of color. Call it artistic license. If you want to know how I painted that snug-fit yellow bezels:

I cheated :D

Pinted the yellow first, across the whole circular part. Kit decals were to small to cover the area, so I looked for some larger lookalikes from the spare decals in the kit that left a snug-fitting yellow trim around :wicked:

Still workind to detail the cockpit interiors somewhat more. Stay tuned.

Regards

- dutik

• 2 weeks later...

Coming close to finishing the cockpit. Added some electrical wiring, some connecting rods and an invisible spacer below the front seat, because the styrene frame is just to flimsy to hold this seat in place for a longer time. The wiring is grey/silver braided line from Anyz, secured in place with Tamiya tape "cable ties". A bit of dusting later we are here:

liore-72ijuk.jpg

liore-8g0krx.jpg

Just have to add the compass shelf and the compass himself, a knob and a handle to get ready to close the fuselage halves. I've just to find a proper compass face decal in the stash, because MiniArt doesn't provide one.

Regards

- dutik

The finished cockpit:

liore-10l9krr.jpg

liore-11xljzx.jpg

The compass was handpainted, lacking a suitable decal in my stash, and positioned onto a small board resting on the frames of the front seat. I've also removed the cover at the rear left fuselage and rebuilt the lost ribbing. Checked the instructions: This was all the work inside the fuselage. Will close the fuselage the next days and start to build the engine.

Regards

- dutik

• 2 weeks later...

I am coming close to start painting the fuselage, but I need some help: How to seal the open cockpits for painting?

There is also an open side door at one cockpit.

Any suggestions?

- dutik

This is what we have at the moment:

liore-12p0jhq.jpg

Fit of the fuselage around the cockpit scaffolding was very tight. I guess it is for the same reason as at WNW kits: A coat of color is thick enough to interfere with the parts fit. First I've sanded down the outside of the scaffolding somewhat and glued it into the right fuselage half. Then I glued on the left fuselage half step by step, using rubber bands to hold them tight, waiting long enough to have the glue cured before glueing on the next section. After the fuselage halfes were in place I drilled a hole into the lower front bulkhead, just between the cockpit floor and above the lower shell, and poured a good amount of superglue into it, followed by filler pearls. This is my common drill to secure large parts like fuselage halfes, wings and other stuff to save them from cracking apart again. BTW, I removed the hatch at the rear fuselage and rebuilt the ribbing there before closing the fuselage.

The front is a multipiece affair. Take your time to achieve a good fit. Stabilizers are on. Next step is to add the movable areas as well as some PE.

Regards

- dutik

Edited by dutik

Yes, I think so. I had the question at the "tips'n tricks" section too and they recommende also the use of sponges. We shall see how it works. At least is there no controlstick that could get broken off :D

Regards

- dutik

Warning! To everyone else who builds Cierva or Rota.
Here is a photo taken 20 years ago while building a Spanish replica. The original Avro ROTA K4232 and the newly created C-30 MZA stand side by side.
And what are the colors of the propeller blade on the pilot's side?

j7MHkIY.jpg

Regards...