Airbrush & tamiya paint

I have a iwata eclipse airbrush and I prefer tamiya acrylic paints. What is the optimum pressure to spray these paints?

Please , any advice will be greatly appreciated. It's been about 15 years since I last made a model and I'm really rusty!

PAUL

8 hours ago, Belugawhaleman said:

I have a iwata eclipse airbrush and I prefer tamiya acrylic paints. What is the optimum pressure to spray these paints?

Please , any advice will be greatly appreciated. It's been about 15 years since I last made a model and I'm really rusty!

PAUL

Hi Paul, I airbrush with Tamiya acrylics a lot and have used them in Iwata airbrushes in the past with great results thinning them 50/50 with either Tamiya or Mr. Color lacquer or Tamiya's X20 thinner.  I have always sprayed at around 15 psi for normal airbrushing work and have never found the need to use a higher psi.  I do drop the psi to around 5 when spraying mottling and also then the paint to a 25/75 paint to thinner ratio for that kind of work.

Ernest

Hi Paul. I wish I had a simple answer. I tend to spray at around 12 to 15 as Earnest says. Lower pressure if heavily thinned when doing post shading etc. I also find the gloss paints tend to spray easier at lower pressure than the flat paints. The new tamiya lacquer acrylics I’m still experimenting a bit. Best advise I can give as practice, practice and practice. I sometimes find myself adjusting the pressure just on the feel of the spray without even looking at the gauge. All that said , I do enjoy them and with and generally get good results. I’d advise sacrificing a cheap kit as a paint mule.

Thanks for the feedback.

It's been a long time since I've built a model of any kind. I have two Trumpeter 1/32 Grumman wildcats waiting for

Me. One in blue and gray paint scheme and an early one in silver and yellow. Your advice is greatly appreciated. I am

Now working on a large Takom Renault tank which is a departure for me (and this forum!)  But has been a fun build so

far. I'm surprised at the selection now available for airplane modeling, so many new subjects and manufacturers and

Many subjects never available before. Like a large-scale King fisher! Wow. However, the prices seem so high for kits- this " shock of the new" has been a surprise for an old dormant dinosaur like me. Anyway, thanks again, and I hope

I may soon start posting pictures of my finished work.

Regards;

Paul.

Edited by Belugawhaleman