F6F-5K Mugu Point - Simply Red

Wackyracer

PR Spit is coming to the final stages, the 262B needs to come back to the bench and I desperately want to start on a late war fw190, but I have a club GB for June that goes under the theme Simply Red.

Visiting the Peterborough Model Show here in the UK back in early March (Pretty sure that's going to be the only one for us this year), I purchased a set of Alleycat Drone decals and a cheap F6F from another vendor. Its all about the paintwork for this build/GB, but as normal the am call gets the better of me every time. The kit pit is very basic and Hannants just received CMK resin pits for this kit so in the basket! Set of Roy's wheels along the way as well and off we go.

y5mdBoZ.jpg

FTwA2BO.jpg

vTcgCls.jpg

wEufHhE.jpg

I mated the wings and fuselage as it was clear the pit would slot in from below, no problem. This allowed me to join the 2 parts very carefully to get a good, neat join with minimal sanding afterwards. I don't want to go down the sanding/re-scribing route with this one as like I said its all about a red themed model, and I quite like the shuttle rivets on the kit.

tdLkQZa.jpg

A very knowledgeable member of our club provided a lot of photos showing the harnesses draped around the headrest of Hellcats prior to the pilots entering, so as a visual talking point that's what I did, especially after finding the Hellcat is not the most 'open' pit and very difficult to see the detail inside.

ehBXEiS.jpg

7D7SD53.jpg

The pit is now installed

LI2BwzT.jpg

GOVcIRs.jpg

t8Dn2vR.jpg

And the wings attached. Again the fit was very good and no filler required.

ufxzz5W.jpg

7fEXD1i.jpg

Next up is the fuel cell. Again the parts are very clunky so I glued and sanded flush and will use some PE to replace the straps.

QTGMf9d.jpg

NnSr2bR.jpg

gZsE0i2.jpg

Tall tail wheels on these planes so found the best photos to see the construction and set about recreating.

sbx5lE7.jpg

Albion Alloy, and plasticard and rods and a few hours wrestling but happy with the outcome.

n1pHDnc.jpg

Order sent for the red and orange paints, hopefully with me next week.

Aaron

• 4 weeks later...