Special Hobby P-36A

sargevining

Hello Sarge,

all pics saved on the hard drive !!!

This will be of great help for the coming build ....

really impressive work !!

You might have say it before, but I don't remember wihich scheme you're going to apply ?

It was a long awaited kit in this scale, but seems not to be for the absolute beginner ! :(

I had some interesting times with their I-16, too ... Well that's modeling after all !!!! :( :D :D :D

Cheers

Stef (#6)

Thanks Stef;

Am interested in any info on your I16 build. I'm kind of an "early war" nut and that one fits the bill. They look especially good in Spanish Civl War colors.

I'm also weird in that I really like the early war US Olive Drab over Neutral Grey color scheme and the kit provides decals for the Rasmussen plane that shot down tw Japs at Pearl Harbor. That will be the one I do.

I recently bought a sheet of blueprints of the P-36 from:

http://www.aviationshoppe.com/catalog/curt...-p36c-p-58.html

The ship that Rasmussen flew was a P-36C and should have under wing "brass catchers" for the wing mounted .30 cals. The kit is incorrect in showing wing mounted mgss for the P-36A and the C should have only one per wing. I'll be scaling those drawings to make the brass catchers and will try to post a drawing so that others can do the same. If you do an A or a C, you will have to fill in the holes for the mg and the detail on the wings for the ammo stores.

Speical Hobby is obviously coming out with more versions. My hope is that they come out with one of the Nationalist Chinese versions. I like that color scheme as well and it will look good next to an AVG bird.

I've got to say that I really do enjoy this kit, despite the fit problems. I know that this is mainly due to limitations in budget and tooling. Companies like Trumpter and Tamiya do not have similar excuses and are supposed to make kits free from major errors and fit problems. (Although I will admit that any problems I had with the Trumpeter P40 were the result of setting too high a goal for myself) One hopes that as Special Hobby grows they will invest in tooling that will help them to come up to the standards of the bigger companies. The attention to detail here is pretty good. They hit some high points common to both airplane types (P36 and P40) that Trumpeter missed in the P40.

Actually Haggis, the only real hard work is finding out what the problem is/was. After that it's just dealing with the plastic dust on the carpet.

Once this is done, I think I'll do a write up on it so other folks don;t have to take the hard road.

I too appreciate your 'pointers' as this kit is on my short list as well sarge.

I'm currently working on the MC200 which has similar bulkhead fit problems.

I agree that the challenge of some of these new kits is kinda fun and the

finished product is worth a little extra effort.

Mike

a

b

e

n

...thanks again :(