Special Hobby P-36A

sargevining

Hmmmm..

Part of the problem is that there seems to be lots on the export Hawks, but little on the P36, on the web at least. I just ordered a 1978 issue of Wings Magazine that has a big layout on the P36, so that should help.

I did note last nite that the seat in the kit will not pass muster. This may be an excellent excuse to get the PART Cockoit set along with the P40 exterior. If I pay in zlotys both together is just a bit more than the CE cockit alone. This will give me a good cance to compare it.

On another note, The P-36 C had cartridge case collector boxes for the wing mounted guns. This is reportedly the type Harry Brown flew on 7 Dec. My question is were those boxes in place on the Hawaii planes? I don't see them on some of the export Hawks. I've found so good line drawings:

http://www.airwar.ru/other/draw/p36.html

http://www.airwar.ru/other/draw/p36ajp.html

and can probably scratch build them by scaling up those shown, but would rather not go through the hassle...anybody know if I can get away with leaving them off and just go with filling in the extra ports and access panels?

Searching the web for more reference, I came across this preview of the kit.

http://modelingmadness.com/reviews/allies/...er36preview.htm

It's written by the same guy who's build I posted in my first mail. In this article he does say "godawful collection of plastic" to describe the Trumpeter kit. I'll have to say that I had not read this prior to my buying the kit or starting this thread (in fact, the kit was a total impulse buy). I do not agree with his estimation of the Trumpeter kit, and came to my estimation of the Special Hobby kit as an alternative to the Trumpeter cockpit independently of the above article.

He states that the kitbash required to get a good P4B would have to involve taking the Trumpeter kit forward of the instrument panel and grafting it onto the Special Hobby kit. This is nonsense. My recommendation is using the sparsley detailed cockpit sidewall and well detailed floor of the special hobby kit as a remedy form the Trumpeter kit cockpit, scratchbuilding any detail required for the P40.

Add the Revell tail planes and you've got it. If you feel froggy you can fix the windscreen and fuselage hatch, but I don't think either is really required (and I don;t agree with his estimation of the rivets and fabric, either)

Plastic is an easier material to work with (at least for me) when it comes to grinding off things that don't belong, and I prefer model cement over cyano glue...but that's just then Old Fart in me. I'm of the opinion that using the Special Hobby cockpit in the Trumpeter kit would give the detailer more control and options than a resin AM set would, and it is more accurate than the Cutting Edge set. One thing I do not like about resin cockpit sets I've seen is that many of the smaller components, such as map lights, are molded in, where they would be much better added as a separate part. I'm new to most of the AM stuff and tend to go back to stuff I learned as a young(er) man...and back then the only option was a kitbash.

The question is this: In order to have the best cockpit, which is better, to spend the $45 you pay for the Special Hobby kit , or the $25 for a resin set, or $20 for photo-etch? That's a question only the individual modeler can answer.

Yup, that is the "review" I was talking about.

I had a good laugh at his "solution". It was like saying: "You want a "better" Spitifre Mk1? Forget the new Revell kit. Kitbash the Matchbox kit!" :)

Forget about his opinion (too much opinion, too little fact). His hatred for Trumpeter clouds his point of view too much rendering it useless.

Radu

Well, three pages and we haven't cut plastic yet, so I figured it would be good to get something done.

At this point, I'm strying to get the P36 to a point where I can compare some of the AM stuff I got for the Trumpeter P40B to see if it will work or be worth the expense. I think I'v talked myself into getting the PART P40 Exterior set, just for the landing gear details.

So here we go. Had some Interior Green painting to do on tnhe P40, so I tossed a bunch of the P36 into the pile

post-4-1135916779.jpg

One thing I notice while painting the cockpit sprue is that not all of the "one sided" parts have the detail on the same side of the sprue. Not really a big problem, just a little bug...I'll have to go back and paint one of the pieces again as I only painted it on one side, and I'm still not sure which one will be seen one the kit is together.

post-4-1135916984.jpg

While waiting for some stuff to set on the P40, I got started on the engine. Here's where the words "limited run injection molded kit" exposes it's true menaing. While things may be said about the Trumpeter kit from an acuracy standpoint, thier engineering is extremely well thought out, and the tooling is excellent. Our friends at Special Hobby are not equally blessed. Gates are thick and connection points can be tricky.

Here we see where one of those thick gates comes to the center of the cylinder head. This is going to require some serious filing. I trimmed it down as far as I could and will wait to finish it after it has been joined to the other half and the glue cured for a while.

post-4-1135917497.jpg

The worst problem with the engines is here. It happens on each of the four engine halves and really needs to be filed and sanded in order to get a good fit. The diameter of the gate goes beyond the flush mating surface of the two engine halves, and goes well into the part. Remember that this is a kit with no locator pins or holes. This is not a alam on the kit, because it was not unexpected with this type of kit and this manufacturer. I'm just glad we've got this thing in this scale.

Wat I'll have to do is file and sand it as flat as I can, glue them together and wait for the glue to dure, then hit them with a coat of primer to see where I need to go from there.

post-4-1135917970.jpg

Actually, it's probably the ADD kicking in...

I'm running into some creative raod blocks with the P40 and have made a few mistakes I wish that I hadn't. I may set it aside for a while and concentrate on this on until the frustration subsides and the optimism comes back....or I decide to start over with another kit. I really want to have a P40B, and I want it to be good...but I might be making my expectations a bit too high...

More work on te engine. For the type of kit this is, what you get is actually prety god, once you get past the fit problems and don;t mind picking up a file and some sandpaper.

I found some good reference on the 1830 engine at: http://www.enginehistory.org/

Top View URL and pic below

http://www.enginehistory.org/G&jJBrossett/...rom%20above.JPG

post-4-1135989137.jpg