F4 Corsair: any ventral fuel tank / bomb mounts available? (cool pics)

Hey guys,

For the F4 Corsair are there any ventral fuel tank / bomb mounts available?

For fuel tanks mounts, I am looking to model FAA corsair with ventral tank like these...

in the second pic you can clearly see the drop tank fairing sits some way clear of the fuselage, and that there is some kind of mounting going on

Royal-Navy-Goodyear-FG-1D-Corsair-MkIV-F

Royal-Navy-Goodyear-FG-1D-Corsair-MkIV-F

and then I came across these - I had never seen corsairs so heavily laden and think they look pretty cool

question is do any of the Tamiya kits come with the ventral bomb rack or mounting, or is there any aftermarket solution?

3 bombs!

Goodyear-FG-1D-Corsair-VMF-155-White-155

2 bombs under wings and ventral tank a la FAA...

maybe a better look at the tank and how it attaches...

Goodyear-FG-1D-Corsair-VMF-155-White-159

close up shots of the mount itself are a bit harder to find unfortunately, although I think they are covered in the second of Dana Bell's books on the Corsair.

finally, for those who find overall gloss blue utterly uninspiring, these look like tri-colour -1Ds about to have bombs added to the underwing mounts, with already present ventral tanks maybe?

Goodyear-FG-1D-Corsair-VMF-155-White-151

The central tank is available with the F4U-1A (Corsair II/III) kit, if you want to do a Corsair IV, you need the F4U-1D kit, with the relevant sprue for the fuel tank, the bomb racks are different between the two kits...

http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNews/Stories/tabid/116/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/34/The-Last-Canadian-VC--Robert-Hampton-Gray.aspx

30 minutes ago, Jennings Heilig said:

That central belly tank was not widely used, and was very unpopular.  It frequently hung up and was unable to be jettisoned, and when you were about to toe to toe with a Japanese fighter, carrying around 160 gallons of highly flammable fuel vapor wasn’t advisable.  Also, the size of that tank precluded its use with the catapult on the carriers.  There is discussion of all this in the instructions for our big F4U decal project...

That's interesting, I've never heard or read about any problems with the center tank setup, other than it being pretty scarce in the Solomon's, do you remember a source for this. I would love to read the book etc. 

6 hours ago, nmayhew said:

Hey guys,

For the F4 Corsair are there any ventral fuel tank / bomb mounts available?

Just joking here but, her GORGEOUSNESS THE F4U-?, Fg-?, or F3A-?, Corsair should always be addressed as such... The F-4 was a fighter with no gun and had 2 smoking J-79 hair dryers at her aft end. Though she is Gorgeous in all her livery's she ain't an F4U-? Corsair of any maker or model number!

:rofl:

BTW....I LOVE the differential treads of both the forward gear struts tires on the forward shot of ”155", block tread on port and circumferial tread on starboard, Modeling the "F4U-?Corsair $h#t! :D

The Duramold centrline tank attachment, and all adittional field mods, for fuel or ordinance, in the SWPA or other theater of opperartions , or Nationality, or time period, is not my forte.. Soooo....sorry I have no answer!

I look for the counter shade/ shadow scheme differentials, (factory and field appled), in Chance Vought F4U- 1, 1A, and early -1D's,  other manufacturer names, etc, derivitives are included too as ... I'm really sick on that!

Alfonso

Edited by Kaeone57