Back in the saddle questions

Kaeone57

Greetings LSPers!

Been away for a bit and making my way back again. Life and it's ups and downs is the culprit for my absence. Slowly been working on some kits again and will post them soon.

Anyway, on to the questions...

Recently I acquired a Hasegawa 1/32 F4B-4 and P-12E that came with a Vector engine and Lone Star cockpit. I will be converting her into an F4B-3 using both kits and some scratch. Not sure how old the sets are and here's the questions.

The Vector engine set, though beautiful, has it's share of mismatched/short shot molded parts. The cylinder heads being the biggest issue. The mold seems to have slipped and has caused the cylinders to be off set on their vertical seam. 

-My questions are for anyone who has used this set if this is the norm or is it an isolated issue on the set included?

-Does Vector replace mis molded parts or am I stuck? Out of 9 cylinders needed, 6 are really bad! To paint a picture for you, as I haven't taken a pic yet, imagine 2 cylinder halves that are misaligned causing a large step on both sides of the seam!

Also working on a 1/32 Cuban Mig-21MF and will be using Akan emerald green for the pit.

Question is..

-Any other thinner than theirs for their laquer paints out there?

Thanks in advance!

Alfonso

Edited by Kaeone57

Hello Alfonso,

I have a large number of vector engines including the one you have and none show the problem you just described.  If you bought the engine from Sprue Brothers recently the you may have a chance at an exchange.  I have no experience dealing with Vector directly.  IIRC vector sells on eBay.  You could find the product line and send the company an email describing your situation.

good Luck

Rick

15 hours ago, Rick Griewski said:

Hello Alfonso,

I have a large number of vector engines including the one you have and none show the problem you just described.  If you bought the engine from Sprue Brothers recently the you may have a chance at an exchange.  I have no experience dealing with Vector directly.  IIRC vector sells on eBay.  You could find the product line and send the company an email describing your situation.

good Luck

Rick

Thank You Rick! As I thought it's just a fluke on the Vector set I aquired with the kit. Will try and hit Vector up and see if I can just get/purchase the cylinders as the rest of the parts I was able to "true them out" !

Apprecite you replying to me though!

Thanks again! Pics and build threads a soon come!

Alfonso

Edited by Kaeone57

36 minutes ago, MikeMaben said:

Welcome back Al      :hi:

Thanks Mike!

Looking forward to posting again. I also brought my What if P-82 (double P-51B) build and another surprise kit to the West Coast with me... Let the fun begin!

Alfonso

I have never used Akan paints, but if they are standard lacquer paints and you want a general thinner to use with them, I recommend Mr. Color leveling thinner.  It is lacquer thinner with a retarder in it that slightly slows drying times and improves spraying through an airbrush.  I buy it in the big 400 ML bottles and always have 3 or 4 in my stash...I order more when I start getting low.

I use it with lacquer paints as well as most acrylic paints, including Tamiya synthetic acrylics.  It makes them spray beautifully through an airbrush.

lbanr2108.jpg

11 hours ago, ringleheim said:

I have never used Akan paints, but if they are standard lacquer paints and you want a general thinner to use with them, I recommend Mr. Color leveling thinner.  It is lacquer thinner with a retarder in it that slightly slows drying times and improves spraying through an airbrush.  I buy it in the big 400 ML bottles and always have 3 or 4 in my stash...I order more when I start getting low.

I use it with lacquer paints as well as most acrylic paints, including Tamiya synthetic acrylics.  It makes them spray beautifully through an airbrush.

lbanr2108.jpg

Thank You Sir!

Alfonso