Archie Harrington's Mosquito MkXXX

Steve Eagle

I am somewhat confused with the fuselage codes on this aircraft.  I have seen in print that MM767 could be either RA-O or RA-D.  The one picture that I have seen of this aircraft is rather inconclusive.  I am about to wrap up this build and would like some input from the members.  I have got RA-D decals on it now, but this can easily be changed. Thanks.

Steve O.

References do seem to indicate it was D, although the photo of RA-D is ambiguous.

According to Chaz Bowyer (who doesn't mention MM767 in his "aircraft examples" from 410 Sqn) the unit flew 456 D, 457 Z, 462 K, 477 U, 499 C, 501 V, 570 B, 571 Y, 702 H, 749 N, 755 W and 788 Q.

I would stick with D unless somebody has definitive proof.

Curious how you got a Mossie XXX in 1/32. Been wanting one for ages. Or is it based on the Airfix monster? 

Tony 

No, I have modified the Revell 1/32 kit with Paragon parts that I have gleaned from several  good souls. Hopefully I can get some pictures of this posted sometime, but I am not overly confident in my abilities.  Have a few kits posted on the site.  Thank you for the information.  That helps.

FWIW, there is an article on night fighter aces in Britain at War, Issue 74, June 2013, that says Harrington's Mosquito Mk.XXX was RA-D MM767. The article is written by a fellow named Andrew Thomas. The photo is sort of inconclusive, but the "O" does look similar to the "Q" of RA-Q MM788.