1/32 MiG-21PFM... How to get there?

f5guy

Hey guys,

I'd like to build a North Vietnamese AF MiG-21PFM in 32nd scale, but there doesn't seem to be a kit other than the very old Revell offering. Can a Trumpeter offering be kit-bashed without a huge amount of work? I'm not really up on my Fishbed variants! Thanks, Fred K.

I don’t think the Revell kit was ever a PFM, regardless of what it said on the box.  It was pretty much a PF only, until in later years parts were added to convert it to a MF.  Basically, a PFM was a PF with the one piece front hinged canopy replaced with a two part canopy with a fixed windscreen and a sideways hinged canopy, the SK-1 ejection seat was replaced with the KM-1 seat, and the vertical fin was increased in chord.  You would probably have to start with the Trumpeter MF kit and build a completely new spine.

take a look at the Revell M/MF kit.  I think you can take the tail and canopy from it and mate it to a Revell PF kit and get what you want.   there are a couple of the kits on ebay.    contact me via message about some other items you could use.

Bruce

You can also graft the spine of the Revell PF on a Trumpeter MF. I know it as I did it. This is far from easy but possible with the help of a lot of plasticard. The main problem will be the canopy as if it is similar to the MF one, it has no rear view mirror. The Revell and Trumpeter kit parts have a hole there to receive the mirror parts. There is alledgely a picture of a Vietnamese PFM with a MF canopy but I am not convinced it is not an error as you only see the front of what could actually be a MF. 

Such an overdue subject for new tool, especially the PF, but alas Eduard have categorically stated they will not scale up their superlative 1/48 MiG-21 series, and it looks as if we're getting new quarter inch scale F-13s and UBs before long to rub salt in the wounds. 

The whole Cold War Jet era is very badly served in 1/32. I can think of at least two dozen great such subjects in 1/48 which don't even get a peep as LSPs. 

It's nature's way of saying get on and build (reconstruct and fight all the way, in some instances) the Trumpeter MiG-21F-13 and MF. I've had one on the SOD for six years. 

Tony