Vacuforming

Fellows,

Any of you guys has experience vacuforming parts?

I sure could use some hints and tips. I got and incredibly good deal on a brand new Micromark Vacuform machine and I would  like to

make some canopy/windshield copies.

Please PM me if you do!

Regards,

Walter

Right on thanks guys. The vacuformed process seam pretty straight forward.

Tim that Stuka is sick!  OMG the detail of the guns, WOW!!!!

My biggest concern is the Master. I have a set of clear windshield I want to copy.

Would the hot clear plastic damage the master?

Do I have to make a wood master of the windshields?

I actually used the rear canopy section from the kit, and poured resin inside it to make two rough "plugs". Keep in mind that doing that destroyed the kit part (due to the heat generated by the resin as it cured, I guess) but I did not care as I had already cracked it while trying to modify it. I then re-shaped the resin plugs and primed them, and sanded them perfectly smooth. The general consensus was that the clear plastic would probably stick to the primer (happened to me before), so I made rubber molds of them and poured final plugs in resin to use for pulling the actual canopies. The resin worked perfectly, and the plastic did not adhere to it at all, so the multiple steps proved to be worth it. 

If you do decide to go the same route, and pour resin or push milliput or something into a kit canopy to use as a master, then I would advise picking up an extra one because the kit part will likely be damaged in the process. Otherwise, you'll have to carve your own master from scratch.

Tim